Virus Scan

General discussions and other topics.
13 posts Page 1 of 2
by thone » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:16 pm
Does sonic.net provide any free virus scan application? (**my finger crossed**)

Anyway, do you have any recommendation for a good one?

-- I am using Norton (free with comcast) and Mcafee (at work), don't really have any good experience with both of them.

Thanks,
by virtualmike » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:57 pm
A friend who reviews anti-virus applications for a living recommends AVG's free anti-virus for providing good protection.
by dane » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:52 pm
Ditto - I also use and like AVG's free edition. Be sure to also install Microsoft's free Windows Defender. Add Spybot Search-and-Destroy and assure you are performing all OS and app updates and you should be pretty well protected.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by zbarr » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:26 am
what ever you do, skip mcafee and norton. they are resource hogs that are so intrusive and bothersome, they're are considered by some to be worse than getting a virus.

avg.
spybot search and destroy.
malwarebytes.
ccleaner. (for cleaning up system)

all are free. -or have free versions.
by virtualmike » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:34 am
PS. Can a board mod move this thread to the correct forum? ...thanks!
by kgc » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:57 pm
Yep.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by parkerday » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:32 am
I highly recommend Microsoft Security Essentials. I've been using it for years and it's one of the lightest antivirus programs I've ever tried. I prefer it over Avast, AntiVir, and AVG (all of them are free as well).
by augie » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:18 pm
I switched from Avira to Microsoft Security Essentials after I got a virus, and I've been pleased with it so far.
by rlvh » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:10 pm
I use Microsoft Security Essentials as well.
by jleake » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:16 pm
Me too. Easy to download, easy to install and it seems to be doing the job (though my behavior tends to be pretty low risk).
Juliana L.
Customer Support, Sonic.net, Inc.
13 posts Page 1 of 2