Security behind SmartRG Router?

General discussions and other topics.
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by epworthumc » Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:17 pm
I'm setting up one of our two fiber lines to support several dedicated Netgear WAC720 wireless access points for guest users. The access points are connected through a switch, which connects to the LAN1 port on the back of a SmartRG SR516AC router. We are not using the wireless capabilities of the RG itself. We've made no changes to Sonic installer settings.

I'm not seeing many security features in this configuration: user computer/smart phone -> access point-> switch -> SmartRG (SR516AC) -> iPhotonix ONT (Model 7251G).

What can I do to increase user security? Can I add an additional security device behind the RG? Upgrade the RG to a router with a firewall and other security features?

Suggestions appreciated.
by ngufra » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:55 am
If it's for your guests, you may want to set client isolation on your access point so each guest can see the internet but cannot see other guests and cannot see your non guest network.
You can also put a regular security appliance or a router with some security features.
In that case you may want to set the RG in pass through mode.
2 posts Page 1 of 1