Internet without phone available with 10Gb but not with 1Gb - why?

General discussions and other topics.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by wong_pa_dan » Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:05 am
I'm not understanding why internet service without phone is available for 10Gb folks but not available for 1Gb folks. Is this a hardware limitation?

I texted with a representative to remove the phone line from my 1Gb plan but was told that I'd have to wait for the 10Gb to become available (date unknown) to have this option. Also, I'll have to pay to get upgrade from 1Gb to 10Gb.

In conclusion, I'll have to pay for an internet speed upgrade (which I don't really want) to remove the phone service (something I really want). This will be available to me at an unspecified date, while I continue to pay for the phone service that I don't use. This is because (for reasons unknown) Sonic doesn't have an option to unbundle the 1Gb service but has the option to unbundle the 10Gb service.
by dane » Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:11 pm
We are testing new products with less features and at lower costs in a limited number of areas, where we have the new XGS-PON (10Gbp) platform deployed. These lower-cost plans may be viable for us if they result in higher uptake, so that's the focus of our testing. Our goal is to build and deliver the fastest, most reliable and lowest-cost product we can, but that requires careful navigation for us on the products and their pricing.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by wong_pa_dan » Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:51 pm
I can appreciate the, as a business, the
[need for careful navigation for [Sonic] on the products and their pricing.

I do have take issue with the fact that on my itemized bill "Fiber Phone Service" has a price of $0.00 and the advertised price for Sonic internet is $49.99/mo. This leaves me with the impression that all the costs associated with the phone line are a result of "Fees and Surcharges" and Sonic doesn't have any financial benefit from the phone portion of the bill. Based on the response to my original message and the mention of "viability of lower-cost plans" - I'm left with the impression that this isn't true.

I'd offer a suggestion - perhaps Sonic would be able to increase their uptake if there was a bit more transparency in the total cost for the service.
3 posts Page 1 of 1