Recently installed 10gig, will the performance improves over time?

General discussions and other topics.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by alexwu » Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:04 am
Hi everyone!
So I recently installed (up to) 10 gig ethernet, the real speed is around 3 gig, still better and cheaper than the 1 gig I orginally have, so no complain there. My question is really do I need to upgrade to 10 gig router? If the bandwidth improves over time, then I defintely will find a 10gig router, but if the bandwidth is around 3 at max, I might consider a cheaper 2.5 gbe WAN router instead.
Also, will the bandwidth improves if I bypass the ONT? and how do I find the manual for the ADTRAN ONT?
Many Thanks!
by brandonc » Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:11 pm
Hi Alex,

The speed/bandwidth doesn't improve over time as it is receiving 10gbps speed up to the ONT. However, you would need a 10gbps compatible router/port to actually achieve the full 10gbps throughput as well as devices capable of receiving 10gbps, which are both rare/expensive on the market currently. The equipment we currently provide won't achieve 10gbps, however if you do purchase your own 10gbps router, you should see the full 10gbps.

As for the ONT, you can't bypass it as that's what the Fiber cable itself plugs into, which is not the same as Ethernet. However, if you do plug a device directly into the ONT (bypassing the router) with a 10gbps compatible Ethernet device, then you should be able to see the full 10gbps for testing purposes.

I hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Brandon C.
Community and Escalations
Sonic
by stanslysiu » Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:07 pm
I installed the 10 gig service on 5/25. I understand my equipments are older. I have a 2 years old d-link mesh rounter. I will not get get full advantage on speed. I only get 500mb. The installer told me I get full 10gig from the ONT. The service on fiber is either not working or I get 10gig. I don't know it's true or not. The router is the same when I have Comcast on 600mb plan. I get over 600mb when I wire directly to my computer by Cat5 cable. And the wireless is the same when I was less than 10 feet away from the router. I try to connect my computer to the ONT bypass the router. But I still get 500mb. Is that mean I only get 500mb in from ONT? Is that a installation problem? I talk to tech support but they just keep telling me because my equipments is old. But I get over 600mb when I am with comcast with the same equipment. When I try bypass the equipment directly connect to ONT still get 500. Should I call tech support again? Thank you!
by brandonc » Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:34 pm
stanslysiu wrote:I installed the 10 gig service on 5/25. I understand my equipments are older. I have a 2 years old d-link mesh rounter. I will not get get full advantage on speed. I only get 500mb. The installer told me I get full 10gig from the ONT. The service on fiber is either not working or I get 10gig. I don't know it's true or not. The router is the same when I have Comcast on 600mb plan. I get over 600mb when I wire directly to my computer by Cat5 cable. And the wireless is the same when I was less than 10 feet away from the router. I try to connect my computer to the ONT bypass the router. But I still get 500mb. Is that mean I only get 500mb in from ONT? Is that a installation problem? I talk to tech support but they just keep telling me because my equipments is old. But I get over 600mb when I am with comcast with the same equipment. When I try bypass the equipment directly connect to ONT still get 500. Should I call tech support again? Thank you!
I'm sorry to hear that. I did take a look at your account and I didn't see any indication of an issue with the signal to the ONT.

When you run the speed tests is it hitting exactly 500 download and upload? It's possible that the device you're testing with is only capable of achieving 500mbps maximum or may be experiencing an issue. Although, I'm not sure why you would have gotten 600mbps before if that's the case.

I would recommend trying to test with another device, if possible, via Ethernet to the ONT to see if you're able to achieve higher speeds on another device. Alternatively, you can check your computer's network adapter properties and that should display that maximum throughput for the device.

If you need help doing any of this, feel free to give our support team a call and we can walk you through checking things.

Kind regards,
Brandon C.
Community and Escalations
Sonic
by stanslysiu » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:47 pm
I just talked to the tech support earlier. I wrote them an email last week. They reply today and asked me to call tech support. I told them I got over 600mb when I 'm with Comcast wit 600mb plan. I use the same desktop and laptop.And I try to bypass my router with the cat5 cable from ONT to my desktop and laptop. I still get max 500mb and most of the time is lower. I took my desk top and laptop to my friends house to test. Both of my computer get 900mb. So I don't need to check my computer's network adapter. I know my computer is suitable to accept 1 gig. The ONT and Cat5 cable is from Sonic's installer. Non of the equipment is from me. Sonic's tech agree what I told him. It's not my equipment's problem. He will send somebody to check tomorrow. I will keep you guys posted after the technician come. Thank you!
5 posts Page 1 of 1