Cannot load website

General discussions and other topics.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by donikatz2 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:37 am
For some reason, I can no longer access mobile provider https://www.redpocket.com/ from Sonic. Works fine from other networks like AT&T. Using Google DNS, not a DNS issue (same issue via IP). My IP address isnt on any common blacklists that I see. Traceroute is unhelpful since it gets blocked at the same hop on Sonic and AT&T regardless. I’m not using any proxy or firewall.

Anyone else seeing this? Thanks
by virtualmike » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:18 pm
I'm not directly wired to Sonic, but I connected to Sonic VPN and I was able to access https://www.redpocket.com/ without any issues. Perhaps this has been resolved by now?
by donikatz2 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:44 am
Thanks for checking. No, I still can’t load it. So I guess either they’re blocking my specific IP for some reason or maybe VPN users get routed differently. Unfortunately I can’t release/renew or change my WAN IP with my Eero (I only have one now so can’t swap them around). Maybe later I’ll dig up an older router and see what happens when I get assigned a different IP.
by virtualmike » Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:36 pm
Try connecting to VPN, since that seems to work. It's supposed to use the same DNS, but maybe my access to the web site has it cached.
by donikatz2 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:42 am
Thanks, but it’s not a DNS issue, I can’t hit their site IP addresses either.

I just tested swapping in an old router to obtain a different WAN IP address from Sonic’s DHCP and lo and behold, I could load redpocket.com again. So they’re definitely blocking my Sonic IP address, for some reason. Even though it doesn’t show up in any blacklists I’d searched. I wonder what WAF they’re using. First time this has ever happened to me; someone who had this IP before me must have done something to get on a list somewhere.

Unfortunately with Eero you can’t fake a MAC address to get a different IP, so I’ll just have to wait for next time DHCP happens to give me a new one. (Or maybe I’ll open a support ticket.)
by virtualmike » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:10 pm
Very interesting. VPN would have been a good workaround for that, as well, as it would have presented a different IP address to the site's servers.

Probably best to contact the site's admin and report the issue. Other customers could be running into similar difficulty and simply moving to a different supplier.
by apl » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:04 am
This whole thread seemed very familiar.
A search turned up another thread about the same website from 18 months ago:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16743&p=56524

The conclusions were more or less the same:
- Redpocket seems to be blocking some sonic IPs for unknown reasons
- There isn't really a way to fix this on sonic's end
- It's unclear who to contact to get it fixed by redpocket
by donikatz2 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:52 am
Oh nice find, thanks; I didn’t find that thread in my searches. Interesting to see this is an ongoing issue with multiple Sonic network ranges (my IP is not in the same network as that poster’s was). Seems likely RP’s WAF either has a custom function which permanently added these IPs to a blocklist instead of using an RBL or their WAF’s rule set is not updating properly and these IPs are still on stale rule. Anyhow, good info. Thanks again.

Sonic support said they won’t help me get assigned a different IP and I can’t use VPN for other reasons, so I guess I’ll just use my phone on cellular or remote into a diff network when I want to go to redpocket.com. Not a big deal. And I’ll open a ticket with RP, even though I’m sure that’ll go nowhere.
8 posts Page 1 of 1