speed question?

General discussions and other topics.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by stanslysiu » Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:05 pm
I signed up for the 10 gig test drive service and get installed on 5/25. I get 500 download and similar upload speed. When I test the speed. I use the cat5 cable directly from ONT connected to my desk top computer. My computer is a i5 Dell. I understand the computer's NIC is 1 gig. Is my speed right? According to the technician said. It will have some software update during the first week and the speed will get improve. Is that true? But my speed remain the same. Should I contact tech support? Thank you!
by ngufra » Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:15 pm
Your computer having a 1Gbps adapter, 1000 Mbps is the most you are going to get with this adapter on this computer.

You have 10 Gbps arriving on the fiber. what is the router connected to it?
Make sure you disable wifi on the laptop computer to ensure you are using the wired connection.
Is anybody else using internet at your location at the same time that would skew the result?

How are you testing?
Sonic has their own test: https://www.sonic.com/speedtest
by dane » Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:08 pm
You'd need a 10Gbps router, and a 10Gbps ethernet interface for the Dell. I'm using one from Sabrent, which I got on Amazon for about $300. I've seen folks reporting good results with Ubiquity Dream Machine Pro routers, but there may be other options too. Sonic doesn't yet offer a router that will go as fast as the connection, FYI.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by stanslysiu » Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:26 pm
Hi Dane, I am not planning to do the hardware upgrade yet. I will do it in the near future. But in the main time. I want to test the speed from the ONT directly to my desktop. I didn't go through the router. Is the 500 is the real speed I get from Sonic/? Is that the right speed I should get? Thank you!
by dane » Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:47 pm
You should see about 900Mbps on Ethernet, which you can and should connect to the router not the ONT.

If you’re seeing 500Mbps, maybe that’s WiFi?

Software such as antivirus can also slow your computer. Browsers can also be slow, do try the native Speedtest.net desktop application as well. (That’s particularly key for speeds >1Gbps, browsers top out at around 1-2Gbps for most computers, while the native app will achieve almost 9000Mbps.)
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by stanslysiu » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:27 pm
I tested with direct connect to ONT and the router. Both of them get 500 up and down. Wifi is the same speed if I test it within 10 ft from the router. When I move more than 10 feet from the router. It start to drop the speed. It's normal. Just like you said the speed should be close to 900. I think that's something not working right. Should I contact with the tech support?
by dane » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:40 pm
Support may have some tips for diagnosing slow Ethernet performance on your laptop, yes. But with fiber there is only one speed, it’s not like copper that can be affected by interference etc. So if it’s online, it’s full speed.

But there can be issues with things like slow USB ports or Ethernet dongles, bad Ethernet cables, slow 100Mbps switches, anti-virus or firewall bottlenecks, etc.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by stanslysiu » Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:20 pm
Thank you!
8 posts Page 1 of 1