Sonic.net Service Violation Notice

General discussions and other topics.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by fmc » Thu May 12, 2022 11:27 pm
Found one of these in my e-mail this morning. "From: Information Center <m.fujisawa@granver.co.jp>" so I am pretty sure it is not authentic communications from Sonic. "Someone reported your e-mail for spam. Certain service features have been disabled." A supposed link to Sonic is actually to something in https://gatesguides.com/ which I did not visit as yet.
by dane » Fri May 13, 2022 6:00 am
Yes, that would be phishing. Someone trying to get your password.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by pdonahue » Fri May 13, 2022 9:19 am
I also received a phishing email this morning. In the html version, the text which said www.sonic.net was actually a link to jaclynrobinson.com which presumably is a phishing site.

Subject: Important Security Message
To: "services.center@suddenlink.net" <yokoden@117jp.com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 14:45:24 +0000

We have updated our security center.
Kindly take a moment & sign in to your member page.
Visit https://www.sonic.net & avoid access limitation

Thank You
by dane » Fri May 13, 2022 9:45 am
Yup. And if you try to visit that site and you've got default Sonic DNS, you'll find yourself at a page which says "It's a trap!" with warnings about phishing. We block sites that are used as phishing landing pages against our customers.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by fmc » Fri May 13, 2022 3:44 pm
My default browser is a Firefox whose default profile is suitably instrumented with things to disable JavaScript and cookie retention and I don't use it to log in to anything important, and I'm good at saying "no" the promise of dancing fruit, and at lying to it if I want to play along. I just have been too busy to go look into this particular abyss to see what it wants yet.

Anyway, I thought if I got this thing, other Sonic customers might have got it too.

-Frank McConnell
by dane » Fri May 13, 2022 4:52 pm
fmc wrote:My default browser is a Firefox whose default profile is suitably instrumented with things to disable JavaScript and cookie retention and I don't use it to log in to anything important, and I'm good at saying "no" the promise of dancing fruit, and at lying to it if I want to play along. I just have been too busy to go look into this particular abyss to see what it wants yet.

Anyway, I thought if I got this thing, other Sonic customers might have got it too.

-Frank McConnell
Yep, many did. Phishing is particularly tough to block, because it doesn't have the usual pitches - offshore prescription drugs, get-rich-quick schemes, etc. It's targetted in language and design only at Sonic customers, so the filtering systems we use just can't see that sort of low-volume and bespoke targeting of our customers. It's infuriating.

We are sending out an alert to Sonic customers to remind them to be on the watch for fake emails that seek to steal their credentials. It's got some tips on how to identify phishing which are useful for all of the email you might get.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
6 posts Page 1 of 1