Wow, Sonic has treated me very poorly

General discussions and other topics.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by graven13 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:21 pm
My internet service has been so extremely slow that it has caused havoc on my computer with syncing to GoogleDrive. For anyone here in San Francisco on DSL with Sonic, please note that GoogleDrive has responded that Sonic's service is "too slow to properly work with GoogleDrive syncing."

I've been a dedicated customer for 8+ years and have always been extremely impressed with their friendly and helpful technicians, but when I called to ask for fair reimbursement for this ineffective service, they refused. Wow! I've always paid my bills on time and what a way to be treated.

Even their own employees do not use their internet service. Sonic is another example of a company that feels no remorse for ripping people off for their hard-earned money. I mean, I'm considered poor even by poor people.
by dane » Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:29 pm
I'm very sorry that we don't have a faster product available at your location at this time. The telecom infrastructure we have available to serve your area just isn't meeting modern the speed needs of modern applications. Unfortunately, your best bet is probably going to be another carrier for now. And while I wish that we could make the service free or less expensive, it's not possible due to the costs to deliver the connection.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by graven13 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:17 pm
Thanks Dane, but even your own technicians were shocked to hear how slow. I've been a dedicated customer and this poor service has resulted in havoc with the syncing of Google Drive. I have already spend countless hours on the phone with Google Drive and they finally informed me that with Sonic's poor service, it would not work correctly. I have lost many valuable files and my computer file structure has been wrecked. I've spent over 60 hours so far, trying to clean it up, but I will not be able to get my files back.

It's sad that when I asked for a fair refund, I was outright refused. In fact, the person who made the decision wouldn't even address me directly, but rather through another agent.

I have always paid my bills on time for the last 8+ years, and because I've lost my university teaching job due to Covid, I've been skipping meals, just to pay for these horrible services.

Good riddance and although I don't believe in karma, I hope that your higher ups get a smackdown for being such despicably greedy people.

Sonic is being reported to the FCC and Better Business Bureau.
Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 3.21.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 3.21.29 AM.png (396.93 KiB) Viewed 1962 times
by ngufra » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:34 pm
I don't get it.
Has your speed changed? If it has sonic should be able to diagnose and fix the issue.
The numbers from the screenshot look like ADSL.
The farther away from the central office, the lower the speed you will get. Sonic cannot change that and their costs are the same.
Is VDSL available ?
Would switching your line to annex M help (it would double your up-speed but would halve your down speed)
Would you benefit from using two bonded lines? (i think sonic charges $20 per month for the second circuit) and it would double your speed.

Are there any other ISP offering better service at your location?
If cable, phone and fiber providers cannot service your location correctly, Hughesnet or starlink may be able to provide dependable service. Hughesnet will have high latency and has a fairly low cap before they throttle you (for $60 per month, after 10 GB per month at 35 Mbps down they slow your down to 3 or even slower), starlink is more like $100 per month so maybe outside your budget.

Do you qualify for financial assistance? Sonic and other ISP are providing income based financial assistance/discounts.
by graven13 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:13 am
Thanks ngufra,

My internet speed has continued to dwindle and several technicians have not been able to help and a brand new modem only slightly increased the speed. They have majorly failed me as a company, and I'm not interested in giving them more money for service.

They should be ashamed.

Yes, I have switched service to another company and I'm on the same speed plan, but it is WAY faster.
5 posts Page 1 of 1