thunderbird, synchronized

General discussions and other topics.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by waxriot » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:07 pm
If I set Tbird to synchronize and leave it running, will I ever hit the 1.6?G limit on server email storage? When will messages be deleted on the server after syncing?

Can I require both Tbird and phone to sync before deletion on the server?
by virtualmike » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:17 pm
Are you configuring for IMAP or POP3 on either/both devices?
by waxriot » Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:21 am
Let's assume I'll do whatever it takes? I'm wondering if I'll want to run a server as well as client on the desktop, but I likely? wouldn't want to expose a desktop-based server (procmail?) to the phone.
by virtualmike » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:09 pm
Running a server on the desktop is quite an endeavor, and it basically duplicates what the Sonic mailserver farm is already doing.

It sounds like you want to access your email from both the desktop and your phone. Likely your best option is to configure T-bird on your computer to retrieve email via IMAP. That way, each mail stays on the Sonic servers until you specifically delete it or move it to a folder on your computer. While it's on the server, you can see it from your phone, using Sonic Webmail, or through other devices. Once you move it to a folder on the computer, you can only see it on the computer.

Your phone mail program should also be configured to retrieve email with IMAP. However, on the phone, you won't want to move messages to folders on it.
by waxriot » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:21 pm
> each mail stays on the Sonic servers until you specifically delete it or move it to a folder on your computer

I was hoping to keep mail spooling off the Sonic servers so that they wouldn't get filled up and start bouncing if I was offline for a week or so.

Maybe better bang for the effort to filter on the server to optimize space there. My longest-running mailbox so far got to 4.7G zipped, before I started using folders. :-)
by virtualmike » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:30 pm
Unless policies have changed, mail won't bounce if a lot accumulates, but you may be charged for going over quota.

Filtering on the server and moving to folders means that mail is still in your mailbox and it will count toward the quota.

How much email do you receive per day? If you clear out the mailbox before you take a trip, will you exceed the quota while you're away?
by waxriot » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:32 am
I don't imagine using folders on the server. I've been doing it in a free academic env where I know the system folk personally, but don't want to leave any of my data on cloud servers that are potentially involved in multiple layers of ownership that could change at some unobservable point. Leaving aside assumed spooling and indexing at multiple points, on this tiny patch I can try to put my foot down.

I always wind up accumulating newsletter-type junk, and if I could 'tell' the server to delete it if space was short, I'd feel safer. Maybe it's like having a bell you can ring from your coffin, but I fantasize being knocked out, swatted, accidentally jailed, whatever, and not having a chance to prepare for it. Hah - you go for a checkup and they rush you into surgery.

If overflow up to 40G were available at normal rates that would be ideal.. adding ~120G cost $10/month on my dev web server.
by virtualmike » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:19 pm
We're probably at the limit of my ability to advise, but I can tell you how I handle my email. I have four mailboxes on Sonic and six on other services that primarily are for non-essential email.

I use Thunderbird in IMAP mode. This means each message is on Sonic's server until I take an action, either deleting the message or moving it to a folder on my computer.

I'm able to get to messages on the server from my computer running T-bird, my phone, my tablet, and Web Mail. T-bird has some filters (rules) built into it to automatically direct messages from certain senders or from certain mailing lists (e.g., newsletters) into folders where I can read them later. Once moved, they no longer are available via the other devices, but that's not an issue for me.

For other messages, I made a decision as I read each one:
(a) leave it in the inbox, because I need to take action on it later
(b) leave it in the inbox so I can refer to it from one of the other devices or Web Mail
(c) delete it, as I no longer need it
(d) file it in an appropriate folder within T-bird

Thus, what remains on Sonic's server is minimal, and there's plenty of time before I would hit the quota and start incurring charges.

While this works for me, it may not be the right solution for you.
by waxriot » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:04 pm
Thanks! I likely will wind up upping my folder discipline and using local folders,

Sonic's overflow disk price is the same as in ancient scriptures. For reference, disk is about $0.02/GB to buy right now, so it's $8.75/mo to maintain less than a penny's worth of storage.

"Additional disk usage beyond the quota will be billed at $8.75 per 250 megabytes."

https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/article ... isk-Quotas
9 posts Page 1 of 1