Probably annoying to have customers who monitor this closely!

General discussions and other topics.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by graeme_stewart » Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:07 pm
by kgc » Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:26 pm
Not at all. Grafana is a pretty great tool, isn't it? What are you using for the data source?
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by graeme_stewart » Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:54 pm
This is all Prometheus generated via various scrape configs (ookla speedtest api, icmp, etc)
by dane » Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:28 pm
Good stuff!

The only word of caution would be that speed testing will slow your actual use of the connection. And similarly, your use will slow your speed test. So, I would suggest not running a speed test too often.

The speed of fiber doesn’t really vary either, so constant testing may be telling you more about your usage than the speed of your circuit.

That said, a daily test could tell you about a fault you might not otherwise be aware of, so it’s worth tracking. (For customers with Eero equipment, that device does a daily speed test and you can see the results in the app.)
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by graeme_stewart » Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:35 pm
speed testing will slow your actual use of the connection

Isn't that what QOS is for :D

But your point is well taken; the context of a given data point is important. The Speedtest API is very good and I'm only really using that data as a significant outage indicator.

More important to me personally are the ping times to various parts of the network and DNS/HTTP latency.
by dane » Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:44 pm
Yep, but there’s no QoS applied to a speed test stream or other user data in our network, so it’ll just split up the available bandwidth. Just beware, can be too much of a good thing, and on a fiber network, it’s not really necessary. This isn’t cable internet. =)
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by graeme_stewart » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:24 pm
...it’ll just split up the available bandwidth
If I choose to use up all available bandwidth to scratch a psychological itch, isn't that my problem? - I am of course joking.

p.s. don't tell me how to use my bandwidth - what is this Comcast/AT&T? - Again joking!
7 posts Page 1 of 1