When gmail bounces (probably not a Sonic issue)

General discussions and other topics.
13 posts Page 1 of 2
by ankh » Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:43 am
Since yesterday, my email to family with addresses at gmail.com has been bouncing.
Probably not a Sonic issue but I do see Sonic's name in the headers:
Reporting-MTA: dns; d.mail.sonic.net

Gmail has nothing to suggest except "try later:

Does anyone recognize this problem or have a suggestion?

======================================

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<xxxxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com>
(reason: 550-5.7.26 This message does not have authentication information or fails to)

----- Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.:
DATA
<<< 550-5.7.26 This message does not have authentication information or fails to
<<< 550-5.7.26 pass authentication checks. To best protect our users from spam, the
<<< 550-5.7.26 message has been blocked. Please visit
<<< 550-5.7.26 https://support.google.com/mail/answer/ ... entication for more
<<< 550 5.7.26 information. l17-20020a62be11000000b004f6ae08af0esi4833115pff.105 - gsmtp
554 5.0.0 Service unavailable
Reporting-MTA: dns; d.mail.sonic.net
Received-From-MTA: DNS; 192-184-155-113.static.sonic.net
Arrival-Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 11:35:45 -0800

Final-Recipient: RFC822; xxxxxxxx@gmail.com
X-Actual-Recipient: rfc822; xxxxxxxx@gmail.com
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: DNS; gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com
Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 550-5.7.26 This message does not have authentication information or fails to
Last-Attempt-Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 11:35:46 -0800
by ankh » Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:41 am
Well, whatever it was, the problem went away overnight.
by ankh » Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:49 am
And the problem has come back the following morning.
(reason: 550-5.7.26 This message does not have authentication information or fails to)
by ankh » Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:18 am
And, sigh, it's apparently not a bug but a feature -- affecting many people:

https://support.google.com/mail/thread/ ... ails?hl=en
by drew.phillips » Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:42 pm
Hi ankh,

Is this sending from your @sonic.net email account, or from a different domain?

Gmail seems to have changed how they handle SPF failures recently. For customers with domain email hosted at Sonic, we suggest following this guide https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/article ... ected-Mail
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
by ankh » Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:49 pm
Yes, I've been sending from my Spamcop address and using the Spamcop outgoing mailserver.

On that page you pointed to, it says "This is only applicable if you own your own domain."

I've been using an alternate destination address to reach my family member and it's worked, so I agree the change causing problems is probably Google's not something at Sonic.
by drew.phillips » Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:59 pm
I was unable to locate the specific message in our logs based on the date and time of the bounce in your first post, but what does stand out is that the bounce was handled by mail.sonic.net.

I am not familiar with how sending through Spamcop works, but I would imagine they have a proper SPF record configured. If you are getting this sending from a non-Sonic address, but the bounce is coming back through Sonic, I suspect there may be a misconfiguration somewhere.

If you still have one of the bounces, we could take a closer look if you would like. I'd like to see the full bounce message, including its attachments. It is probably easiest to forward to support@sonic.net, but you may also try to PM the full message if feasible.
Drew Phillips
by ankh » Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:23 pm
I'd already trashed the bounces, sorry. I just tried to send to the recipient that generated bounces in the past, to see if I get a fresh one. If so I will send it as you suggest.

I have just a partial header I'd saved for my brother to see, here's that in case it's useful:

From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON@d.mail.sonic.net>
Subject: Returned mail: see transcript for details
Date: 6 March 2022 at 09:20:37 GMT-8
To: <hank@well.com>

by drew.phillips » Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:46 pm
ankh wrote:I'd already trashed the bounces, sorry. I just tried to send to the recipient that generated bounces in the past, to see if I get a fresh one. If so I will send it as you suggest.

I have just a partial header I'd saved for my brother to see, here's that in case it's useful:
That one did the trick and makes a little more sense now.

This particular bounce to your brother happened because the message was sent through mail.sonic.net from @well.com. This was most likely not a problem with Gmail until last week when they changed how they handle these errors.

well.com has what is called an "SPF record" for their domain which tells other mail servers on the internet who is allowed to send mail on behalf of well.com. Sonic's mail servers are not in the allowed list, so, sending from a well.com address through Sonic's servers is treated by Gmail as "not authenticated" since it didn't come from one of the allowed servers.

The solution here is to ensure that when you are sending from that mail account, that the email client uses the correct SMTP servers for this account. Currently, it is using Sonic for SMTP but should be using well.

Does that make sense? I can PM more details if that would help identify the sending account.
Drew Phillips
by ankh » Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:57 am
As promised, after waiting a while, the problem's gone as of last night.
13 posts Page 1 of 2