Setting up Sonic webmail in Outlook for Android

General discussions and other topics.
14 posts Page 2 of 2
by ngufra » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:15 pm
hpdelano wrote:
I've tried everything. I just can't get it working in Outlook for Android. I'll just have to make do with Samsung's mail app.
I don't use sonic's email but I tried to set it up to check it worked.
I could setup my sonic mailbox on outlook for android successfully.
I tried to take screenshots on android but the useful ones are hidden (all back) so not terribly useful.

The important part is when it asks you for server and domain\username on the "Connect Exchange", tap on the question mark in a circle on the top right and select choose "Change account provider". it will show a list with Microsoft: office365, outlook, exchange Others: Yahoo, iCloud, Google and finally Advanced: IMAP and POP3
The one you want is IMAP.

Follow the settings listed at : https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/article ... 3-Settings

IMAP incoming Mail Server:
IMAP Host name: imap.sonic.net, port 993
Security type: SSL/TLS
IMAP Username (your sonic user name (without @sonic.net)
IMAP password (your email password)

SMTP Outgoing Mail Server:
SMTP Host Name: mail.sonic.net Port: 465
Security Type: SSL/TLS
SMTP Username (your sonic user name (without @sonic.net)
SMTP password (your email password)
by jphelzer » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:45 pm
I just had this same issue with Outlook Mobile for iOS. I tried all of the steps above, including the '?' override to force IMAP. No go.

I decided to try it again with one of my "dummy" accounts. (The ones created to increase overall mailbox space.) I had forgotten the password so I reset it to something super-simple just to test. Configured the account, and....it worked!

Next, I changed the password to a much more complex one (lots of unusual special characters, etc.) but still 14 characters. I waited 15 minutes and logged in again. Didn't work, though worked fine on webmail.

Changed the password again to something simple, waited again, and it works.

So....either Outlook mobile has a bug that doesn't pass all characters of a complex password, or Sonic isn't authenticating properly. Being my Sonic account works on every other email client I've ever used, my money is on a Microsoft bug.
John
by virtualmike » Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:23 pm
jphelzer wrote:[...] Outlook Mobile for iOS. [...] I had forgotten the password so I reset it to something super-simple just to test. Configured the account, and....it worked! [...] Next, I changed the password to a much more complex one [...] Didn't work, though worked fine on webmail. [...] Changed the password again to something simple, waited again, and it works.[...] So....either Outlook mobile has a bug that doesn't pass all characters of a complex password, or Sonic isn't authenticating properly. Being my Sonic account works on every other email client I've ever used, my money is on a Microsoft bug.
Or it might be an iOS bug.

More than once I've run into an issue where a user ID/password for a site+app works fine through a web browser on my Windows computer and with my Android phone, but not with my iPad. Removing most of the "special characters" from the password got it working on the iPad.

I suspect that one or more of the "special characters" is an escape or command character and gets dropped at some point between when I type/paste it into the password field of the app on the iPad and when the service's host attempts to authenticate it. I just don't have the time to experiment and figure out which character(s) causes this.

I have complained to Customer Service at several of the services where this has occurred, and got the typical "it's fine at our end, you must be an idiot"-type responses.
by jphelzer » Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:04 pm
Good point. The password I used had ~ and "...

I have an Android device I can test this one also. I'll see if it's replicable on that.
14 posts Page 2 of 2