SR516ac router suddenly banning wired clients after 1-2 minutes

General discussions and other topics.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by afdeer » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:36 pm
Hello,

I currently use a wired AP setup with the SR516ac and have many strictly wired devices (printer, NAS) working flawlessly on the network. I had my work docking station wired into one of my APs for a long time and things worked flawlessly; near 1gb/s service both up/down and nothing to complain about.

Lately I've noticed that attempting to use my mac as a wired client results in timeout of my wired connection after a few minutes. I typically forced a wired connection on my mac by turning off wifi. The weird part is that the wifi always works throughout this weird dance where I:
-Plug in my wired nic, connection is great for about 1-2 minutes, connection times out
-Unplug the nic and re-enable wifi (via wired AP), wifi is fine and was never interrupted
-Plug back in the wired nic, disable wifi, great wired connection for 1-2 minutes, repeat with another cable/nic etc, same result.

I've disabled QoS and wifi on the Sonic router due to preference for my wired APs. This has thrown myself and tech support for a loop because it happens in so many configurations and seems to only happen to a wired client that saturates the limits of the local network (1gb/s speed tests). Other wired clients including my APs are fine.

Any router setting advice would be appreciated!
by ngufra » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:50 pm
Is it only on the Mac?

I vaguely remember looking at some traces of iphone handshake and they are using randomized MAC address by default.
Could it be causing the issue?
Try to disable "private address" in the network settings.
Are there any profiles on mac so that when in docking station in disables the wifi so it will be forced to use the wired connection?

How is the docking station and wired NIC connected? usb? is it fast enough wrt Gbps ? (Sorry don't know much about apple products)

It was not clear if you disable wifi on the access point or on the computer
by cyclos » Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:30 pm
This doesn't quite sound like the same problem, but I had a problem with the SR516ac powering down the ethernet connection which caused problems with other network gear. If the net wasn't used for a while, the next DNS lookup would fail.

The setting is in Advanced Setup > Power Management.

[EDIT] Oops, I see you said SR516ac. My problem was with the SR515ac.
3 posts Page 1 of 1