Power Outage and Sonic's Datacenter Up-Time

General discussions and other topics.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by adi.berglez » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:05 pm
Hello,
The SF Fire Department is recommending that we are self-sufficient for up to five days during a major incident, like an earthquake, in the Bay Area and our friends at PG&E, or the event, leave us without power.
How long will Sonic be able to provide internet and VOIP support during such an event, assuming their fiberoptics network is not damaged? How long will Sonic's datacenters stay operational with their power back-up strategy?
I am upgrading our solar array and am installing a solar back-up battery to continue to have power for critical appliances and services but would like to know how long I could depend on Sonic.
Thank you,
Adi
by dane » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:23 pm
Sonic should operate indefinitely, regardless of utility power. Central Office and data center sites all have battery backup, plus diesel generators. Critical resources are generally distributed, and the network has diverse physical paths serving most communities. We have virtually no equipment located in outside cabinets, which is a key advantage of optical networks as compared to Cable.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by adi.berglez » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:51 pm
Thank you, Dane.
I like the "virtually indefinitely" answer.
Let's hope it never comes to testing it ...
Adi
3 posts Page 1 of 1