Recent comcast outages: is Sonic ready?

General discussions and other topics.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by ngufra » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:02 am
There was a large connection outrage yesterday for comcast customers in the bay area.
It seems it's affecting lots of people in other areas today too.
Sonic customers do not seem to have been impacted, either by luck or by planning.

I hope Sonic is listening and watching so they can apply whatever lessons are learned and remediate against it if it could affect them (and us) in the future.

If your neighbors are affected, open your guest wifi to them if you can.
by dane » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:31 pm
I haven't heard yet what caused the outage, but it's interesting because it affected parts of their network all across the nation.

It's good that consumers in Sonic's region have a fast and reliable competitive alternative.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ngufra » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:00 pm
I appreciate that the website to check Sonic's network is https://sonicstatus.com i.e. a different TLD.

I think about facebook outage last month where someone messed up the dns and employees could not authenticate to fix it becauser the authentication was using the dns that was not resolving in the first place. (that's the way I understand it can be summarized simply)
by kgc » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:13 pm
We've always paid special attention to other high profile outages to make sure we've learned what we can from them and make sure that our systems aren't exposed to the same flaws. As far as I know, Comcast has been very successful keeping a lid on exactly what happened which is unfortunate.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by charles2 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:39 pm
Sonic should draw a small graphic. Two boxes. The left box communicates, Comcast down, no diagnosis offered. The right box communicates, Sonic XX% uptime, prompt diagnosis offered. Find a way to get this to your customers and ask them to post it on their Nextdoor and other local websites. ;)
5 posts Page 1 of 1