Suggestion/request regarding twitter.com/sonic_status and sonicstatus.com.

General discussions and other topics.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by motet » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:11 pm
When there's an unexpected outage, I think it would be to everyone's benefit to make it a priority to announce it on the various status pages/Twitter feeds as soon as possible. Last week there was a Fiber Fusion outage after-hours; I checked sonicstatus.com, saw nothing, then ran around rebooting various things and then emailed support. An announcement finally appeared much later, after the problem had been resolved. If the outage had been posted right away, it would have saved both me and the support staff who respond to support mail some trouble--a win/win situation, to use a cliche.
by brandonc » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:24 am
Thank you for your suggestions, we definitely agree with you that we need to be better about sending/posting notifications when outages occur.

We do have network technicians on call for when equipment fails or something that would be visible on our systems. However, the issue we have been facing recently is that there have been short power outages in some areas and when everyone's equipment comes back online at the same time, it overloads our DHCP servers and freezes everyone's connection.

In this case, everything on paper is showing up as working "as normal" on our side, but in reality nobody can get online due to the huge traffic jam on the network. Then because it's after hours, we aren't receiving calls from customers reporting problems, so it makes things even worse.

Due to these issues, we have been working with our equipment vendor to come up with solutions to prevent this issue from happening further and have come up with added precautions ourselves to be more attentive and proactive about these outages in the future.

I'm very sorry about any inconveniences the recent outages have caused!

Kind regards,
Brandon C.
Community and Escalations
Sonic
by motet » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:49 am
Thank you.
3 posts Page 1 of 1