Phone calls being recorded and played back on the Sonic Transition box?

General discussions and other topics.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by glee217 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:13 pm
7/18/21 around 1:05pm PST I heard my mothers phone call conversation for a second or two from the Sonic transition box (light gray box from outside line to house). The message seem from along time ago about roses which is scary to hear it all of sudden and it sounds like it is from the Sonic transition box. It was pretty loud. The odd thing is that we have Att wireless but she does have WI-FI CALLING enabled on the phone so that leads to me that through WI-FI CALLING her message was being recorded and oddly played from Sonic transition box.

Then around 1:30pm PST I heard my voice being played for about ten seconds about asking a clerk from an auto parts store. I also have same Att with WI-FI CALLING enabled and the message is also played through the transition box.

I am pretty sure it is from the Sonic transition box instead of the PG&E gas smart meter about two feet from it. So I disabled wifi calling but Anyone else had this happen?
by amayfield » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:27 am
Those grey boxes just contain a bit of spooled fiber, in case we need to do a small reroute of fiber into the house in the future we don't have to do a completely new drop. I don't know what would be recording and playing back call audio, but that isn't something Sonic does.
Andrew M.
Community & Escalations Manager
Sonic
by glee217 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:55 pm
amayfield wrote:Those grey boxes just contain a bit of spooled fiber, in case we need to do a small reroute of fiber into the house in the future we don't have to do a completely new drop. I don't know what would be recording and playing back call audio, but that isn't something Sonic does.
Hmm… so the grey box has only spooled fiber in it then it can not be Sonic as I do remember seeing a spool of fiber as I saw the installer working on it so this leads me to the PG&E Gas Smart Meter that is about two feet away. This is a concern might have to relocate that damn thing and research this recording of our phone call.
by dane » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:31 pm
Is it possible that this is your cell phone? Can’t see how it be anything else really, if you’re using the cell phone to make these calls. Maybe an old voicemail being played or a call recording app you installed?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by glee217 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:03 am
dane wrote:Is it possible that this is your cell phone? Can’t see how it be anything else really, if you’re using the cell phone to make these calls. Maybe an old voicemail being played or a call recording app you installed?
Thanks for the input Dane but no phones were used at the time. If the grey box only contains a spool of fiber then it has to be the PGE Smart meter since those are the only two things that are there.
by abhibags » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:11 pm
I noticed this glitch too. The phone call would last exactly a minute and after that the conversation from the other side would be played back over and over. This was an international number. the only explanation I can have is once the call gets disconnected the sonic side of the line thinks there was a drop and it starts replaying the buffer. So, they buffer about 30s or so per call for retransmission as the internet is lossy.
6 posts Page 1 of 1