Is mirrors.sr.sonic.net secure?

General discussions and other topics.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by mde » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:17 pm
Greetings,

I’m getting a “Security Alert” when I try to add an sonic mailbox account to Outlook. I usually get a pop up window and hit the [Allow] button, and all is usually fine.

But today, when I hit the [Allow] button, I received a ”Security Alert” message for mirrors.sr.sonic.net . The message states that "The name on the certificate is invalid or does not match the name of the site".

I checked the Certificate and it was issued to mirrors.sonic.net and not mirrors.sr.sonic.net .

Further investigation also shows that mirrors.sr.sonic.net is not an alternative name either.

Is it safe to send my credentials to mirrors.sr.sonic.net, even though the certificate is wrong?
by sysops » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:02 pm
mirrors.sonic.net isn't related to email so to see this server when adding a mailbox in Outlook is strange. The mirrors server is secure and has a valid certificate. Though there is no real harm with doing so, you should not send credentials to it since they won't work there anyway.

Are you using imap.sonic.net for incoming and mail.sonic.net for SMTP as shows here? https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/article ... _and_ports
Proud Sonic customer since 1999. Ask me about internet privacy, VPN, anonymity and security.
by cdkeen » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:35 pm
Sorry for the confusion. While technically mirrors.sr.sonic.net and mirrors.sonic.net are the same server I updated our autodisover record that outlook is reading to point at mirrors.sonic.net rather than sr. This should hopefully clear up the security error you encountered before. Thanks for choosing Sonic!
cdkeen - Sonic.net System Operations
by kbenson » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:40 pm
The reason for this is that the autodiscover.xml and autodiscover.json are housed on mirrors.sonic.net. Mirrors.sonic.net is actually mirrors.sr.sonic.net, but we present mirrors.sonic.net as the public name, in case we want to stand up a mirror server somewhere else and point to that.

Outlook looks for an SRV record at _autodiscover._tcp.sonic.net in DNS when attempting to set up a sonic.net email (as it would look at _autodiscover._tcp.foo.com to find how to set up a foo.com email), and that was erroneously specifying mirrors.sr.sonic.net instead of mirrors.sonic.net. Unfortunately, the certificate for the mirrors server is only valid for mirrors.sonic.net, so if you browser attempts to use https://mirrors.sr.sonic.net, it will get back a certificate that doesn't match, and do the right thing, which in this case is complain loudly.

As cdkeen noted, the autodiscover link has been updated to now point to mirrors.sonic.net, so this problem should be fixed in that Outlook will be sent to the correct domain name, and the certificate will now match, and it should no longer complain. Please do let us know if you continue to see problems.
by mde » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:44 pm
Thank you all for your responses. It all makes sense. I'll check it out tomorrow and respond again if the error returns.
5 posts Page 1 of 1