Ethernet drops and wiring for home - SF

General discussions and other topics.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by nickroberts » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:19 pm
Just moved into a new apartment in San Francisco that has coaxial and Cat 5 Ethernet drops in every room. When we couldn't find where these drops would exit, I removed some faceplates to find there was nothing connected.

Instead of running cables throughout my house along the floor, would Sonic or any other recommended service be able to wire my new apartment?
by brandonc » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:05 pm
Hey Nick,

Unfortunately, we are unable to run lines throughout the home to all the other jacks. For that, I would recommend looking into hiring a local contractor/electrician to come out and hook up the additional jacks.

However, if there's something wrong with the jack we connected during installation, then we can definitely go through some troubleshooting and/or send out a technician to repair anything wrong with the main jack.

Kind regards,
Brandon C.
Community and Escalations
Sonic
by dane » Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:32 pm
When you removed the faceplates, you're saying that the jacks don't have a wire connected to them? Or, you just cannot find where all the wires go to?

In most homes with Ethernet throughout, they bring all of the wiring to a single box, often in the master bedroom closet, the garage, or a spot near an electrical panel.

If you do want Ethernet wiring run, you'll want a low-voltage electrical contractor. I'd suggest running Cat-6e these days, with an eye toward speeds greater than gigabit in the future.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by enoch » Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:39 pm
I have used this contractor 2x since moving to SF 15 years ago. He treated us well and was fair.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/a-wire-guy-san-francisco

Hope that helps!
4 posts Page 1 of 1