Fiber Parental Controls, why is not okay for ATT to spy on me but Amazon spying is just fine?

General discussions and other topics.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by peter_onderwater » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:50 pm
I switched from DSL to fiber early this year because I have three kids learning from home that need a fast connection.
The Fiber does not come with ATT smart home manager app that lets me block sites and give time controls because of Sonics "privacy concerns".
ATT gave me a bdg 320 ont/router which is the best of the best I am being told, except nobody knows how it works.
When I had DSL I used a TP link Archer A7 router (at $59,99) that gave me control of my router through an app called "Tether" that let me set access control for each kid. I have Asus U66 router connected with a network cable another other side of my house acting as an access point.
I tried getting the bdg320 in pass-through mode to the Archer A7, but there are constant errors and disruptions.
I called Sonic support and they recommended the EERO 6 mesh .
This will costs $200, plus another $2,99 an month the get parental controls.
EERO is owned by Amazon.

In short: I can not get ATT parental controls because ATT is spying on me.
I have to pay $200 plus $2.99 a month to get Amazon to spy on me.

How can I get this router reliably in pass-through mode with a consumer grade router that has the parental controls that I need?
Or do I just drop Sonic and go straight go to ATT? I am not an IT pro, I work a full week and have no time to deal with internet issues all the time.
by jacob.karinen » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:06 am
What kinds of errors are you seeing when you setup the IP passthrough on the bdg320? Is it just not keeping a stable connection or are you noticing slow downs in speeds? Do you notice the issues if you hardwire a device connected directly to the passthrough connection or is it only on devices behind the archer a7?

Generally IP passthrough should just pass the routing on to the device behind it and so if there are errors or slow downs we want to try and eliminate where they're coming from. If you're still seeing slowdowns on a device connected directly to the bdg320 on passthrough then there's an issue with that equipment we should look into. If it runs stable then maybe there are settings that can be adjusted on A7 which can help alleviate those issues.

As for Amazon spying, they say they are not tracking information through eero but there's nothing we can do to guarantee it beyond offer our VPN services. You can find out more about them here https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/article ... PN-Service and they are free of charge to all Sonic subscribers.
Jacob K.
Community and Escalations Supervisor
Sonic
by peter_onderwater » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:21 pm
The internet seemed to cut out at irregular times. Everything had the be reset every few days.
I am going to set it in pass through again today and see what happens.
by peter_onderwater » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:52 am
I set it back up yesterday. I reset dbg320 by pressing the button on the back. Connected tp link router from Lan on dbg320 to wan on tp link router. I set DBG320 in passtrough. It worked fine all day yesterday. This morning no internet is coming through the tp link router. I am going to power cycle all devices and see what happens.
by peter_onderwater » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:55 am
I rebooted the tp link router, still no internet.
I rebooted dbg320, still no internet.
by peter_onderwater » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:36 pm
I also noticed that the internet ip address on the tp link is 99.88.44.178 which seems a strange number to me.
It shows this:
Internet Status: Poor network
Connection type: Dynamic IP
IP address: 99.88.44.178
by peter_onderwater » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:19 pm
I did a factory reset on the tp link router and connected it with pass-through. This seems to have solved the issue.
7 posts Page 1 of 1