AWFUL POST-SALES SERVICE

General discussions and other topics.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by ashokmathur » Sat May 29, 2021 1:52 pm
I signed up for sonic Internet service and the service was installed yesterday (May 28, 2021). Here is what happened afterwards:

1. The technicians who came for the installation suggested that the modem be installed in my garage and said that they would also install an ethernet connection from the garage to my home. I could connect their modem to my router using this connection. I accepted the suggestion because I had no reason not to.

2. I had requested that my telephone number be ported to Sonic. This was done.

3. I called technical support today for help in connecting my telephone to the Sonic network. I was told that phone would have to be attached to the modem which now is installed in my garage.

4. I know of nobody in his right mind who installs his primary home phone in his garage. I told the service representative that placing my home phone in my garage was not an acceptable option. He then told me that a truck would be sent to my home and a technician would install the required connection from the modem to the room inside my house where I wanted to place my telephone. He then added that the truck rollout would cost me $75.00 for the first half hour and more for to any additional time.

5. Sonic knew that I needed to hook my telephone to their network - they had actually ported my telephone number! Not installing the connection from the modem to the room was their oversight. Asking me to pay for their mistake is completely unreasonable. I told the service representative this. He put me on hold and then returned to tell me that no exception could be made and that I would have to pay for the truck rollout. Since I had no viable alternative, I asked for the truck rollout.

6. Sonic then sent me a text message to schedule the rollout. The first available date was six days later. This means that I will be without a home telephone for about one week at least.

BUYER BEWARE. SONIC CUSTOMER SERVICE IS GOOD ONLY UPTO THE TIME THE INSTALLATION IS COMPLETE AND THEY HAVE YOU AS A CUSTOMER. AFTER THIS, THEY BEHAVE LIKE ANY OF THE CHATLATANS IN THE BUSINESS SUCH AS AT&T OR XFINITY.
by ngufra » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:05 pm
The ONT is where the network AND phone plugs are and you need to connect your phone and router to it.
I use a cordless phone and am fine with the base in the basement, and additional handsets and chargers in the house.

I think it should have been made clearer to you and original installer could have put wiring for the phone net to the wiring for your router.

If you are willing to only use 100 Mbps instead of the fiber 1 Gbps bandwidth, you could use one of the 4 pairs of the cable the installer used between the ONT and your router. 100 Mbps only needs two pairs of wires. or run the phone cable next to the network cable, all holes are already done so it should be easier.
by briancw » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:35 pm
Hi ashokmathur,

We're sorry the installation of your service has run into issues. Unfortunately in cases where the service has already been installed a truck roll to move the ONT is a billable charge. In the case of your connection, your ONT does not need to be moved, we just need to get out there to do what is called a backfeed. That does not incur a charge normally and based on your description. There is however the potential issue that our people cannot currently enter homes. Without being able to enter homes our techs might not be able to complete the backfeed tomorrow during your dispatch. If the work requires going inside the home we will potentially need to wait till the restrictions from entering homes is lifted. So, this is a good news bad news situation.

The good news is that setting up a backfeed shouldn't cost you. But the work might not be possible until we are able to enter homes again.

I apologize for all the frustration along the way, hopefully tomorrow's work goes well and your phone gets backfed correctly tomorrow and you can move forward with your service working.

Thanks,
Brian W
Construction Application Processor
Sonic
by charles2 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:14 pm
"If the work requires going inside the home we will potentially need to wait till the restrictions from entering homes is lifted." - This seems to put a halt on a lot of new Gigabit installations. For example, it is not wise in my neighborhood to mount the ONT and associated boxes outside. Also, we have no outdoor power outlet. Our current AT&T ONT is inside at a logical spot near the router and a power outlet. We are on pre-order for native Sonic Gigabit. So... ?
by syntaxsid1 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:11 pm
Hello,

We are able to enter homes on a "per instance" basis at the moment. We are ramping up to be fully able to enter homes in the next couple of months. We do have some specialized technicians that have the full PPE gear to do in home installs right now though. We'll be able to tell you if we are able to do this or not for your case if you would like to get started on this. I hope this helps. We look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,

Jeff M.
Jeff M. with Community Escalations @ Sonic
by charles2 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:28 pm
Thank you, Jeff. I am on native Sonic fiber pre-order, converting from AT&T fiber, and Sonic-contracted crews just strung the fiber and power lines down our street. So the excitement builds. My hope is that from June 15, when California regulations go back to "normal" (except for mega-events), your installers can routinely enter premises, at least where the occupants are fully vaccinated and willing to wear a mask.
6 posts Page 1 of 1