How to donate funds to underserved community

General discussions and other topics.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by sergneri » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:23 am
I'm looking for a means to donate some of my stim-money to fund broadband access for underserved Sonoma county residents.
Any one have a good idea who might be doing this?
Does SONIC have a means to do this or a recommendation?
by scott » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:44 pm
sergneri wrote:I'm looking for a means to donate some of my stim-money to fund broadband access for underserved Sonoma county residents.
Any one have a good idea who might be doing this?
Does SONIC have a means to do this or a recommendation?
Sigh...it depends.

You might want to wait a bit, since it's not clear how much the broadband upgrade part of the stimulus bill will provide. I read an estimate, though, that I think said it allocates $100B for broadband infrastructure.

That's a lot of rural broadband.

-Scott
by sergneri » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:21 pm
Yep - the fine folks over at Petaluma People Services are waiting for some funds to allow them to start-up a program, but it doesn't really have a plan yet. Amazing that we didn't see this need forming years ago. Seems that internet access went from being an accessory for us rich folk to a basic need to everyone without us noticing. Water, power, sewers, schools/fire/police but not broadband - thanks Ajit!
3 posts Page 1 of 1