Help converting .MOV to .MP4 using Handbrake

General discussions and other topics.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by scotts » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:11 am
Have been trying to use Handbrake to convert a .MOV file to a .MP4 file. YouTube videos are pretty clear. Have been watching them and following to the letter.

When I get to the START button to convert the .MOV file using Handbrake, the file will only save as a .M4V file. The source .MOV file is taken from an iPhone6. How can I get the Handbrake program to convert and save as an .MP4?

Am trying to get a .MOV file shot on an iPhone6 to display on a web page. It was suggested to convert it to an .MP4 file using Handbrake.

Is there a better method to get a .MOV file to play on a web page? Tags are correct.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.
by scott » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:55 am
scotts wrote:Have been trying to use Handbrake to convert a .MOV file to a .MP4 file. YouTube videos are pretty clear. Have been watching them and following to the letter.

When I get to the START button to convert the .MOV file using Handbrake, the file will only save as a .M4V file. The source .MOV file is taken from an iPhone6. How can I get the Handbrake program to convert and save as an .MP4?

Am trying to get a .MOV file shot on an iPhone6 to display on a web page. It was suggested to convert it to an .MP4 file using Handbrake.

Is there a better method to get a .MOV file to play on a web page? Tags are correct.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.
I grabbed handbrake and had a look. Looks like you just need to change the name of the output file -- that's what I did, and it wrote this file:
$ file Untitled-1.mp4
Untitled-1.mp4: ISO Media, MP4 v2 [ISO 14496-14]

Output filename is set in the "video" tab.

Video on web pages is probably best handled with HTML5 these days (or is it?).

-Scott
by scotts » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:21 pm
Hi Scott,

Thanks for your quick reply!

Yes, the video tab in Handbrake has the option at the bottom to SAVE AS.

I did have to manually type in .MP4 at the end of the file and then save. Uploaded it and tagged it:

<video controls>

<source src="/videos/Mustard 9183.mp4" type="video/mp4">

</video>

Works fine. The problem was that I had the wrong attributes tags. Needed to insert: <video controls>

Thanks for all your help. Between you and the YouTubers, I was able to get this working.

Hey, a shout-out to your tech support person Jess.

I knew nothing about Handbrake until last Friday, when I called tech support; he just happened to pick up and he knew to send me to Handbrake.

Please pass along to Eli my highest commendation for Jess.

Happy camper.

One quick question: if someone is running a web-based business using domain hosting on Sonic (and who also lives in SoCo), does one need a business license?

I hope you can get the team back on Apollo Way soon; I always like to joke with the tech support people about what Dane is fixing you guys for Friday Tech Support lunch. I hear sometimes that you have a taco truck AND a Korean food truck.

With gratitude,

Scott
3 posts Page 1 of 1