Messages disappearing from Inbox

General discussions and other topics.
10 posts Page 1 of 1
by bettyb » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:23 am
Yesterday (March 3) all the messages in my inbox disappeared. Now I see that after I read new messages they also disappear. I haven't changed anything in Settings so wonder what's going on? I don't always respond to messages in my inbox right away, saving them to consider before replying so it's a real problem when they disappear. Any thoughts?
by syntaxsid1 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:16 pm
Hello,

Sorry to hear about that trouble. This usually happens if you have a device/computer set to POP vs IMAP in your email settings. When a device is set to POP and you check your email, the messages download to that device, removing it from our mail server (so they look like they just disappear). It may seem random if you check your email on multiple devices/computer. It can also happen if you have recently added a new device to check your mail on like a mobile phone, iPad etc. Check all of your devices/computers you check your email on to see if those messages are on one of those. Our support team can help you figure this out as this is a pretty regular topic our support staff handles on a daily basis. Give us a call when you get a chance so we can investigate further and point you in the right direction. We can be reached at 1-855-394-0100. We hope to hear from you soon!
Jeff M. with Community Escalations @ Sonic
by bettyb » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:34 pm
Thanks for the quick response.I don't have that many devices...this computer running Windows 10, a tablet (Amazon Fire), plus a second desktop running XP. Msgs are gone from the tablet. I'll check the other desktop but I don't use that to check email. Only other thing I've added is a CapTel phone that translates voice to text as I'm hearing impaired. Can't see how that would be a problem but I'll check everything I can think of, then call the # you've provided.
by briancw » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:22 pm
Hi Betty,

I am going to send a test email pretty soon here, do us a favor and when you see the test email from Sonic come in, just let is sit. You can open it but don't delete it. We want to see if we can spot the behavior happening in the logs.
Brian W
Construction Application Processor
Sonic
by bettyb » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:44 pm
Okay, seeing your msg while on the XP desktop. Read it but didn't delete or anything. None of the messages that were in my inbox are visible here on this desktop. Not in the tablet either. I suspect the CapTel phone as it's causing other problems. My knowledge on these matters borders on nil. (sigh)
by briancw » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:02 pm
Hi Betty,

This might be best to try and resolve over the telephone, there is something odd afoot here. Frequently issues like this will be an issue with emails disappearing will be issues with accounts configured in an odd way. I'd recommend giving us a ring here at 707-547-3400 because it'll be better to go over the configurations of your email clients with one of our techs. This is a relatively abnormal one and it might be more expedient to troubleshoot over the phone.
Brian W
Construction Application Processor
Sonic
by macguyver » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:43 pm
Betty, I just noticed you said "XP desktop". Does that mean Windows XP?
by ngufra » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:29 pm
If all the messages in the inbox disappear, it indeed seems like a POP3 email client has been configured and deletes the emails from server after downloading them.
If you want to be able to read your emails from multiple places, IMAP is preferred.
by macguyver » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:02 pm
Any number of things that could be going on here. Most likely it is a software setting that may have changed with out your noticing or even knowing it exists. Software interfaces can be unnecessarily complex and cryptic. If you are using an email reader on your tablet, that app may have updated itself, which possibly changed a setting. So much fun to be had with technology! :D

You are correct in that the CapTel phone should not have any impact on your email.

The Sonic team are right to urge IMAP email configuration when using more than one device to view email. It is best to leave email on the server (ie. sonic.net) and have your Mail apps retrieve msgs on-demand. I usually have people set their software to "leave on server" unless deleted, and even then you can often retain deleted messages for a set period of time, allowing you the chance to get it back later if accidentally deleted.

Some possibilities:
- The phone Mail app may be automatically moving msgs. after they are viewed (possibly to a hidden folder).
- The desktop Mail app may be ignoring (not showing) msgs. marked as viewed.

Regarding your Windows XP system. I am sure you have heard that Microsoft discontinued support for XP back in April 2014. So it no longer gets security updates which can be a real problem as time goes on. If you must use it for checking email, I strongly urge you to ONLY use it to connect to Sonic.com email, and do not view or download any photos/attachments unless your life depends on it. Sorry to turn the screws of fear, but older systems that are off support can be a gold mine for bad people to take advantage of. Sonic webmail has a setting to NOT show images by default and you might want to have one of their team help you check that. There is a button you can click to show images in any email you receive, so it just gives you a chance to decide.
by bettyb » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:11 pm
macguyver wrote:Any number of things that could be going on here. Most likely it is a software setting that may have changed with out your noticing or even knowing it exists. Software interfaces can be unnecessarily complex and cryptic. If you are using an email reader on your tablet, that app may have updated itself, which possibly changed a setting. So much fun to be had with technology! :D

You are correct in that the CapTel phone should not have any impact on your email.

The Sonic team are right to urge IMAP email configuration when using more than one device to view email. It is best to leave email on the server (ie. sonic.net) and have your Mail apps retrieve msgs on-demand. I usually have people set their software to "leave on server" unless deleted, and even then you can often retain deleted messages for a set period of time, allowing you the chance to get it back later if accidentally deleted.

Some possibilities:
- The phone Mail app may be automatically moving msgs. after they are viewed (possibly to a hidden folder).
- The desktop Mail app may be ignoring (not showing) msgs. marked as viewed.

Regarding your Windows XP system. I am sure you have heard that Microsoft discontinued support for XP back in April 2014. So it no longer gets security updates which can be a real problem as time goes on. If you must use it for checking email, I strongly urge you to ONLY use it to connect to Sonic.com email, and do not view or download any photos/attachments unless your life depends on it. Sorry to turn the screws of fear, but older systems that are off support can be a gold mine for bad people to take advantage of. Sonic webmail has a setting to NOT show images by default and you might want to have one of their team help you check that. There is a button you can click to show images in any email you receive, so it just gives you a chance to decide.
Thank you for responding. I suspect the tablet...Sometimes I just pause from reading and look to see if there is any mail but usually don't open anything. Still, it did update something...Kindle I think, but who knows. Anyway, that could have been the problem. I don't use the XP desktop for anything except one program that won't run on Windows 10. I'll have to double check but I think I can set it to not go online on its own. As to IMAP versus that other thing...haven't a clue what that is or where to look for it. The desktop is my workhorse, the tablet is for reading books. I will probably never get the hang of touch screen stuff.
10 posts Page 1 of 1