Access Security

General discussions and other topics.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by cvkohler » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:00 pm
Today, I was contacted by Amazon about an unusual activity on my account. Apparently, someone had gotten into the account and was attempting to buy stuff. Amazon told me that they were using my IP address.

How could someone know/do that? How can I prevent it?
by dane » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:27 pm
I'd be very suspicious of a call like this. My father recently got a call a bit like this from his "credit card company" saying that someone had made a purchase via Amazon of a camera for $3,000, and they wanted to confirm it. Turned out to be bogus, they were trying to get digits of his credit card and other personal information.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by cmeisel » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:58 pm
I agree with Dane. This sounds extremely suspicious and I would call Amazon myself (or request a call back) and verify it was really them. It doesn't sound like them to tell a customer that somebody was using their IP address.
If they asked you what your IP address was, then it most likely was not Amazon. This is not information you will ever be asked or should provide.
If it was them and the IP info was correct, then you should check your machine. The only way I can really do harm to your Amazon account is:
1. I have your email and manage to reset your amazon password (and others)
2. I have your amazon log in
3. I have remote access to your machine which is or can log into amazon without me needed to know any username or password (since most of the time users are either logged in or have credentials saved by the browser) and they get auto-inserted.

claus
3 posts Page 1 of 1