Forwarding incoming domain email spam back to spammer?

General discussions and other topics.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by tbessie » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:19 pm
Hi all...

So when a spammer is using one of my domain email addresses to send me their spam, and that spam isn't caught by Sonic's spam filters, I generally use the User Tools "no valid email address" alias, so that it disappears into a black hole.

Recently, I've been put on some far-right email lists (all using the same email address I provided to some unrelated third party long ago). I've tried their "opt-out" link (hey, why not try, sometimes it works), but I just keep getting them, of course.

I was wondering - what would happen if instead of the black hole, I had the email tool forward the email back to the spammer? Would this cause undue load on Sonic's email servers, possibly causing a vicious loop of back-and-forth between Sonic and the spammer's email server?

- Tim
by ngufra » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:38 am
Where do you send it to?

The "send from" and the "rcpt to" addresses are not the actual sender but an innocent by stander.
If you send email back to them you are spamming that person.
by tbessie » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:52 am
This is not a spammer who's using a fake from address. They are semi-legit, in that they don't try to hide. So the from address works.

- Tim
by virtualmike » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:46 pm
What is the the User Tools "no valid email address"?
by tbessie » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:05 pm
virtualmike wrote:What is the the User Tools "no valid email address"?
Member Tools -> Web Sites / Domain Names -> Domain Email Addresses

You can direct email to a given domain email address to another address (ideally at Sonic, but it could be anywhere). The special target of "no.valid.email@sonic.net" is a black hole that just ignores it.
by virtualmike » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:15 pm
tbessie wrote:... "no.valid.email@sonic.net" is a black hole
That's what I was looking for! I recalled the discussion from a long time ago, but I didn't need it at that time. Now I do, but my searching through the forum wasn't finding it. ...thanks!
by tbessie » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:52 pm
virtualmike wrote:
tbessie wrote:... "no.valid.email@sonic.net" is a black hole
That's what I was looking for! I recalled the discussion from a long time ago, but I didn't need it at that time. Now I do, but my searching through the forum wasn't finding it. ...thanks!
Happy to be of service!

- Tim
7 posts Page 1 of 1