How to get autoresponder to reply with address on incoming message?

General discussions and other topics.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by virtualmike » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:02 pm
Hi,

I have my own domain, with many email addresses. Some of those email addresses have turned into big spam traps.

I've set up one of my mailboxes with an autoresponder, and I've configured it with each of the spam trap addresses. I've then modified the domain mail addresses to forward to that mailbox.

In the past, it seemed that the autoresponder sent "from" the same address as the incoming message, but now it's using the address in the drop down for all incoming messages.

How can I configure the autoresponder to send the response to reflect the address of the incoming message?

In other words, if I have abc@mydomain.com, def@mydomain.com, and ghi@mydomain.com, all forwarded to mydomainspam@sonic.net... if someone sends an email to def@mydomain.com, how do I ensure the autoresponder shows as from def@mydomain.com? ...thanks!
by virtualmike » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:00 pm
*bump*

Hello, Sonic staff?
by briancw » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:43 pm
Hi Mike,

We apologize for the delay, when setting up the autoresponse there is a little section that looks like this:
virtmike.jpg
virtmike.jpg (54.02 KiB) Viewed 6614 times

You should be able to add the addresses forwarding to the autoresponder mailbox there and have success.Give that a shot real fast and we should have some luck.
Brian W
Construction Application Processor
Sonic
by briancw » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:55 pm
I just had a smidge of a problem with the domain email portion of this, stand by I am working a little more for a solution.
Brian W
Sonic
by virtualmike » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:08 pm
Hi, Brian,

I'm actually using one of the other mailboxes (@sonic.net) on my account for the autoresponder.

Basically, various email addresses that have become big spam dumps are forwarded to that mailbox, for which I've set up the autoresponder. Because there is a chance that a legitimate email may be sent there, I'm trying to give people options to get in touch with me. Yes, I am doing cross-domain auto-responding, because I have addresses on my personal domain (and its subdomains) that are directed there.

When I first set it up a couple of years ago, my testing gave me the impression that it was responding "from" the email address to which the message was addressed. However, it now seems that it's responding with the last email address that I edited in the message box. I thought I was able to choose a customized message per address, but that doesn't seem to be working. ...thanks!
by briancw » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:15 pm
Hi Mike,

I ran this by the ops guys and they are saying that that functionality isn't currently available and they suggest using an individual mailbox for each. As in have those 3 domain emails all point to individual mailboxes and then turn autoresponder for those, since that is all standard behavior for those tools.

If there was a way to get those to behave the way you want here it might be unavailable at this point.
Brian W
Sonic
by virtualmike » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:02 pm
Thanks, Brian. I'm afraid I will run out of mailboxes to do that, and it's not worth paying the fee for additional boxes. I'll continue with my (what I'd hoped was temporary) workaround and have all auto-responses come from noreply@<mydomain>.

I left a PM for you... could you review and handle? ...thanks! -m
7 posts Page 1 of 1