Mail server broken on 12/3/2020 at 11:15 pm?

General discussions and other topics.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by virtualmike » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:23 pm
Hi,

I've been using my mailboxes all evening, but at 11:15 pm on 12/3/2020, I'm unable to access them.

Initially, in my IMAP client (Thunderbird), I keep getting told the password is invalid (it's stored in the program). If I re-enter it, nothing changes.

When attempting to login from the web, I get told "Loading....." but then I'm thrown back at the login prompt.

Now, T-bird is saying "Connection to server imap.sonic.net timed out."

SonicStatus.com doesn't show any issues.

It's too late to contact Support. Any chance someone who can do something sees this? :shock:
by jlew » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:18 am
Hey, I also have the same issue.
Just wanted to let y'all know that it doesn't appear to be just one user.
by jlew » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:31 am
I know that Tech Support is closed right now, but I also clicked on the [email] button in this post's header to email this forum thread to support@sonic.com
by kbenson » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:00 am
Sorry about this, a piece of late night network work triggered a bug in our load balanced IMAP mail cluster. It was unclear what effect it had on existing connections, as those seemed to still function. It's possible some of the attempted fixes may have exacerbated the problem and made some existing connections start having problems, but this wasn't apparent at the time.

There definitely should have been a status update about that, so sorry we dropped the ball on that. We're aware of what the IMAP cluster problem is now so even in the case that it triggers again (it's a rare situation that causes it), we'll be able to resolve it very quickly. That said, our goal is always to remove the chance that things like that can happen at all, so hopefully we'll have a fix in place soon.

Sorry for any interruption this caused!
by jlew » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:44 pm
Thanks! I totally get it...when someone trips over the power cord!
Again, thanks. - J
by virtualmike » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:55 pm
Thank you!
6 posts Page 1 of 1