Power Over Ethernet (POE) splitter for ONT

General discussions and other topics.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by merlin1649 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:42 am
Apologies if this has been asked/answered before - most POE posts I ran across are for APs.

I'm looking to relocate my modem but don't want to pull a power line just for the modem. The ONT modem has a tiny coax power plug which I can't seem to find on a splitter. Has anyone been successful powering the ONT on POE? How did you do it? I understand it's a 12v device.

Thank you.
by ngufra » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:43 am
You will need a 48 v injector on the router side and a splitter on the ont side.
The ont spec sheet is at https://www.pulsesupply.com/images/pdf/ ... 01_411.pdf
It's 12V 4W
Make sure the injector and splitter are gigabit not just 100BaseT (some use 2 pairs of the cat 5 cable and with the remaining two you can only do 100 Mbps)

I think it should work.
Make sure the plug is the right size and polarity (positive in center?)
You should be able to find the injector and splitter on ebay.
by merlin1649 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:49 am
Thanks for the info.

I got a TX PoE Gb 12v splitter, but the coax plug is 2.1mm. I bought some adapters but the power LED on the ONT unit kept blinking. I have on order a couple of other coax adapter to keep trying. The positive polarity is in the center for the PoE splitter as well so I'm just scratching my head.

Thank you.
by ngufra » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:13 am
How do you inject the power into the cat5 cable?
Is it compatible with your splitter?
You could use a voltmeter to confirm you get the right voltage on the 2.1 mm plug.
by klui » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:20 pm
What is your power source? Maybe your plug adapter is faulty or doesn't have a good connection. Contact PoE Texas for advice as they seem to be quite knowledgeable.
by msandrof » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:57 pm
I did the same thing a while back, but for slightly different reasons. My ONT has always been under my house in the crawlspace wired via CAT5e to my router (Unifi USG) in the house. Originally, the ONT was plugged directly into power via an outlet i installed under the house, but I wanted it to have UPS support. Since I already had a UPS for all my in-house equipment, I didn't want to add another one in the crawlspace. So I bought this TP Link POE splitter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003C ... UTF8&psc=1 and used one of the many extra POE injectors I had around from other Unifi hardware (most is powered through a POE switch). I had to find some barrel plug adapters for it which was actually the hardest part of the process. But it works great. Also makes it easy to power cycle the ONT without going in to my crawlspace.
6 posts Page 1 of 1