Have gigabit - should I get UDM or UDM Pro?

General discussions and other topics.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by dalekaren8 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:34 am
Have gigabit at home (thanks Sonic!) and am looking to change out my circa-2014 Netgear router.

Currently, I have 2 UniFi APs and a controller, so it seems right to replace the router with one of the UDMs. I’ve no need for the home security video features - am moving to HomeKit secure video at some point.

Amongst the devices here, I have a couple of desktops and 2 NAS devices that actually do sometimes use almost all the bandwidth.

My concern are that the UDM can’t keep up, and upgradability (ie Sonic offers more than 1G and the router becomes the bottleneck).

Can someone with a UDM and gigabit speak to the former? Or anyone with either device talk about their experience?

Thanks in advance!
by dane » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:11 pm
dalekaren8 wrote:My concern are that the UDM can’t keep up, and upgradability (ie Sonic offers more than 1G and the router becomes the bottleneck).
Bingo.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dalekaren8 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:11 pm
Oh. A reply from Dane. I have all I need, then! :lol: thanks for all the work your team does!
by js9erfan » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:06 am
UDM Pro. 8 Gbps downlink throughput w/o IDS/IPS; 3.5 Gbps with. UDM = 930 Mbps downlink throughput w/o IDS/IPS; 850 Mbps with. The UDM provides Wi-Fi unlike the Pro but if your coverage is sufficient with the existing APs then it's a non-issue.

Or, throw something like pfSense on a box that you can scale to your needs... As a user of UniFi switches and APs I opted for pfSense for this reason and the fact it's highly configurable. UDMs show promise unlike the USGs but are not without flaws based on their forums.

That said, either way you go should be a big improvement over your old Netgear router.
by dane » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:36 pm
dalekaren8 wrote:Oh. A reply from Dane. I have all I need, then! :lol: thanks for all the work your team does!
Safest bet is to use the equipment we provide. That'll always give you a path as the network evolves. And, tech support integration, no fee for truck rolls, etc.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dalekaren8 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:13 pm
I hear you, but I’ve also rolled out some lines, switches, APs and other infra bits, to improve coverage. It’d be nice to tie all of it together under one controller. I’ve had a router separately for years, and it’s always been the one piece that stuck out :roll:
6 posts Page 1 of 1