Recommendation for an extender to the sonic gateway router

General discussions and other topics.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by mstollon » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:21 pm
I have upgraded to the fiber optic and have the sonic gateway router. I was using an old apple extender, but we are having problems with buffering on the TV and zoom freezing. I’d like to select a new extender that works with the Sonic router, pls advice if you know what works well, Linksys?

Eero for whatever reasons Through Sonic didn’t work on my system , would not register, so this is plan B , upgrade the existing hardware.

Anyone have an extender WiFi recommendation that works with the sonic router?
by camerongraham » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:36 am
I'm using this router with sonic fibre : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZS ... UTF8&psc=1

working pretty well, although the sonic connection is currently being a bit laggy from time to time, nothing to do with the router though and i've tested on 4 or 5 types now
by mstollon » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:35 pm
Thanks but are you using an extender? or are you using another router as an extender??!
by js9erfan » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:53 am
I have upgraded to the fiber optic and have the sonic gateway router. I was using an old apple extender, but we are having problems with buffering on the TV and zoom freezing. I’d like to select a new extender that works with the Sonic router, pls advice if you know what works well, Linksys?
I don't see the gateway model listed but if you can I would try to avoid using extenders.... They can be flaky and performance usually isn't great or even good. Wiring up an access point or two (depending on size of your home) in areas that provide the best coverage would be the best way to go.

I've have good luck with Ubiquiti's UniFi APs over the last few years and the nanoHD is a solid little performer. Keep in mind an AP does not provide DHCP so your Sonic router would still be needed.

Mesh systems are convenient when you can't run wire but extenders are a waste of $.
by mstollon » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:43 am
Thanks , looks like I’m in a holding pattern for now.
by brandonc » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:38 pm
I would say that if you're just trying to extend the signal just a bit further and the signal doesn't have to go through many walls or thick walls, then it could be a decent option to consider. However, they can be very situational and don't work well in every environment, which can cause further issues in the process.

While I can't recommend any particular third party equipment, Sonic does provide the option to switch out our standard rental router for an Eero Mesh system. This would extend the overall signal coverage greatly compared to the standard router by providing you with multiple access points broadcasting a WiFi signal, much like an extender would, but it wouldn't run into the same communication issues extenders sometimes have.

If you are interested in learning more about all the Eero rental options, go to members.sonic.net > "Upgrade Your WiFi". If you have any questions about them as well, please let me know!
Brandon C.
Community and Escalations
Sonic
by mstollon » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:37 pm
Hehehe, my question on this forum was spurred by my attempts to install the EEro mesh system. It would not install, register etc. After support with sonic and even Eero I opted to return the equipment.

This is a perfect example of an exercise in futility...

I was willing to have sonic come and install the equipment, change routers, or change modem if needed for a hard To install situation, but due to covid it’s not possible.

Thanks all for your help, Im still at square one.
by js9erfan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:58 am
Keep in mind there are plenty of other mesh systems out there besides Eero... Amazon has free returns on most so trying an alternate product can't hurt depending on your budget.
8 posts Page 1 of 1