Option to use my own Modem/Router

General discussions and other topics.
38 posts Page 1 of 4
by Guest » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:18 pm
Do I have to rent a modem/router combo from Sonic or may I use my own and save the rental fee? Seems like the modem/router pay for themselves after a year or less
by dane » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:10 pm
Yes, currently you can opt out and return the modem once your service is up and running, after it's completed it's automatic optimization process, a week or two.

But you'll lose the benefits of support visibility of the CPE, plus the included Wire Plan, which covers the cost of any necessary truck rolls or inside wire repair. And of course the end-to-end service assurance and next-day replacement shipping in case of equipment trouble.

Obviously I'm hopeful you will retain the bundled equipment, as I believe it makes the Fusion service better and easier in many ways, but today it is possible to opt out and return it to avoid the $6.50 expense.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Guest » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:53 am
dane wrote:Obviously I'm hopeful you will retain the bundled equipment, as I believe it makes the Fusion service better and easier in many ways, but today it is possible to opt out and return it to avoid the $6.50 expense.
Is this new policy from Sonic? New subscribers can avoid the $6.50/month rental by returning the CPE?
by dane » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:24 am
Yes, current policy does allow members who prefer to use customer-supplied equipment to obtain and RMA and ship back or drop off the Sonic equipment. Of course we would prefer the use of the integrated equipment for a broad array of reasons, but with all those disclaimers aside, members can opt out at this point.

One early heads up: IPv6 is coming, so it would be prudent to make sure equipment you use supports 6RD.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Joseph » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:46 am
dane wrote:But you'll lose the benefits of support visibility of the CPE, plus the included Wire Plan, which covers the cost of any necessary truck rolls or inside wire repair.
I rent the modem from you. Does this mean that you cover inside wire repair? My phone line is staticy and so can I just call you up and have you send out a repair guy to crawl around my crawlspace to deal with mice that chewed the wires etc.etc.?
by dane » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:34 am
Yes, that's correct, but with some reasonable limits. The repair method is up to our field tech, so they might run a new wire on the exterior if it was more accessible. Also, they will only fix one jack, for delivery of data and voice at that location. Additional in-premise distribution would be up to you, but we'd suggest using a wireless DECT 6.0 base station at the working jack if other premise wiring is damaged.

Note that if the unit is a rental, the landlord also has this obligation, so in some cases such as an apartment where wiring may be inaccessible, we will push that obligation back to the building owner for resolution.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Joseph » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:34 am
dane wrote:Yes, that's correct, but with some reasonable limits
Thanks. You guys are great.
by Guest » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:41 pm
dane wrote:Yes, current policy does allow members who prefer to use customer-supplied equipment to obtain and RMA and ship back or drop off the Sonic equipment. Of course we would prefer the use of the integrated equipment for a broad array of reasons, but with all those disclaimers aside, members can opt out at this point.
Although my subscription started before the new change, I really appreciate you and your team reconsidered. It tells me your values still side with your customers.
dane wrote:One early heads up: IPv6 is coming, so it would be prudent to make sure equipment you use supports 6RD.
What does this mean? Does it mean we need to migrate our connections to IPv6 or only if we have a need to connect to IPv6 sites?
by dane » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:54 pm
Guest wrote:What does this mean? Does it mean we need to migrate our connections to IPv6 or only if we have a need to connect to IPv6 sites?
No, it means that for IPv6 to work, you'd need a router which supports 6RD. The equipment we supply will simply offer the customer native IPv6 on the Ethernet, so it's all automatic, but if you supply your own equipment, you'd need to assure you had this capability (and set it up) in order for IPv6 to function.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Guest » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:14 am
dane wrote:One early heads up: IPv6 is coming, so it would be prudent to make sure equipment you use supports 6RD.
This is exciting news! Are we talking about weeks or months to 6rd deployment?
Can users try it out soon - beta mode?

This would help the people who find the manual IPv6 tunnel in the Member Tools page too difficult.
https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Category:Member_Tools
38 posts Page 1 of 4