Option to use my own Modem/Router

General discussions and other topics.
38 posts Page 2 of 4
by dane » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:37 am
I don't have an estimate for you on when IPv6 will roll out on our platform, sorry. It'll be an automatic upgrade, so there's nothing customers using our equipment will need to do.

For those using their own equipment, if it's compatible, they'd need to manually configure it. That said, I'm not sure I've seen any consumer DSL modem/routers that support IPv6 6RD, so this might be a moot point.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Guest » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:51 pm
I just signed up on the one-year promotional plan. Can I still choose to buy my own equipment and not pay the equipment rental fee, or does the one-year contract require the equipment rental? What about after the one-year term ends?
by digitalbitstream » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:36 pm
dane wrote:For those using their own equipment, if it's compatible, they'd need to manually configure it. That said, I'm not sure I've seen any consumer DSL modem/routers that support IPv6 6RD, so this might be a moot point.
The current Cisco/Linksys routers have a '6rd Tunnel' configurable setting,
see the documentation here: http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx? ... leid=24115
As do those from Billion : 'With Billion IPv6 enabled devices, three major transition mechanisms such as Dual-Stack, Dual-Stack Lite, and 6RD (IPv6 rapid deployment) are supported to be adapted easily into service provider’s IPv4/IPv6 network.'
by cdkeen » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:03 pm
Guest wrote:I just signed up on the one-year promotional plan. Can I still choose to buy my own equipment and not pay the equipment rental fee, or does the one-year contract require the equipment rental? What about after the one-year term ends?
No, not for the term of 1 year that is the promotional period. After 1 year if you wish to opt out that is an option. Part of the promo is renting the equipment.
cdkeen - Sonic.net System Operations
by catambay » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:10 am
I've been on a lot of tech forums, and I gotta say that it boggles my mind to see how active Dane is on here. Other forums, I don't even see the tech support folks for that company on as often as I see the CEO of Sonic.net on here. Granted, there's the possibility that Dane delegates to some tech savvy folks to post for him, but even if that's true, it's still impressive.

That said, I'd like to chime in on this discussion. I landed here because I've been having stability issues with my internet for quite some time, and it's quite possible that it's due to my old modem. So I came here looking for options on modems, and it is comforting to see that sonic.net has eased off of forcing new customers to rent a modem. I know, from reading the posts, what is all inclusive in that rental package, but for the regular "joe", all we really see is a big monthly tax on modem rental. One of my friends almost became a customer until he got snared in the rental enforcement, and he backed away (there went my referral). I'll have to let him know that you changed your stance.

Realizing that the $6.50 is not just for the modem, but also for support (such as quick modem replacement, in-house wiring issues, etc.), is comforting, but it also leads me to request/suggest the following: Why not let your customers buy that modem without the bells and whistles (aka, the support add-ons). For those of us that want to avoid the $6.50/month, since I'm shopping for a DSL modem, I'd just assume buy it from Sonic.net than from Amazon.com. Now, if you tell me that modem is gonna cost me $500, well... that'll shut me up right quick. :)
by chalkhorse » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:12 pm
Well, I'm disappointed in sonic then. I just started service several months ago and I was told I had to rent your equipment even though I owned one already.
by Guest » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:58 pm
chalkhorse wrote:Well, I'm disappointed in sonic then. I just started service several months ago and I was told I had to rent your equipment even though I owned one already.
DSLextreme offers similar service for less cost and the modem rental is free! Yes free!
by Guest » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:52 pm
Guest wrote:DSLextreme offers similar service for less cost and the modem rental is free! Yes free!
It's free after you pay them $100.
by danielg4 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:45 pm
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:DSLextreme offers similar service for less cost and the modem rental is free! Yes free!
It's free after you pay them $100.
The modem from DSLExtreme is leased. They still own it. Back when I had them, I opted out and had them not even ship me one, using my own instead.
by Guest » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:42 am
danielg4 wrote:The modem from DSLExtreme is leased. They still own it. Back when I had them, I opted out and had them not even ship me one, using my own instead.
Maybe in the past but it's no longer true for their trueSTREAM product. Go to their prequalify availability URL https://www.dslextreme.com/truestream/residential and when you get the list of products at the bottom of the page, note the following:
All packages require use of the supplied modem. The modems can be purchased for a one-time fee of $100 or leased for a monthly fee of $6.50 per month.
https://i.imgur.com/Sih2WHK.png
38 posts Page 2 of 4