Odd screen shows up here via Firefox

General discussions and other topics.
15 posts Page 1 of 2
by bettyb » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:59 am
Logging on Mail here I see a screen similar to what we used to see back in the days before Windows...that is, everything is in text. I suspect it's something in Firefox as it doesn't happen when using Chrome. Any clue or suggestion before I go to FF?
by virtualmike » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:14 pm
Can you post a screen shot?
by bettyb » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:02 am
Not sure I know how to do that.. What I see in FF i something entitled "Window Control" and appears to be a text representation of the normal screen in mail. I recall seeing something similar a while back but it went back to normal screen without my doing anything.

I know how to capture a screen shot to insert in Word but not sure how to do it into Chrome.
by ngufra » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:57 am
on windows you can do a screenshot using the PrintScreen button. (PrtSc)
To do a screenshot of a single window, you can do Alt-PrtScn.
It put an image in the clipboard.
Then open e.g. Paint and paste the image and save to a file.

It may be that when firefox does not get the content from the website fast enough, it starts to display what it has which happens to be a low resolution of the site and then when it get the regular version, it redraws the window.

Or maybe your mail client does not want to support firefox and as your browser tells the server what user agent it is, it gets a dumbed down version of the page. In that case use chrome, change mail provider, or you may be able to tell firefox to send an alternate user agent string so the server does not discriminate and send it an alternate version of the page.
by ewhac » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:54 pm
It sounds like the CSS stylesheets are taking a while to load (though it's unclear why it would be slower under FF than Chrome). Do you have any plugins installed that manipulate/alter page colors or layout (and might therefore slow down CSS)?

Just for laughs: In the old-style Firefox menus, select View -> Page Style -> No Style, and see if that bears a resemblance to what you're seeing (select -> Basic Page Style to restore normalcy).
by bettyb » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:43 pm
ewhac wrote:It sounds like the CSS stylesheets are taking a while to load (though it's unclear why it would be slower under FF than Chrome). Do you have any plugins installed that manipulate/alter page colors or layout (and might therefore slow down CSS)?

Just for laughs: In the old-style Firefox menus, select View -> Page Style -> No Style, and see if that bears a resemblance to what you're seeing (select -> Basic Page Style to restore normalcy).
I'm at a loss here. I used to be able to do a lot of this stuff but at 87 I seem to have forgotten way too much. Can't remember now where to find View, etc. Plus, I don't use Chrome browser much so still fumbling with that, AND haven't a clue how to navigate in this forum. Not sure how to upload a screenshot here but let me try doing it as an attachment...that is if I can find where the heck Windows 10 and Word stashed it..... Well that didn't go as planned. Having trouble saving the screenshot into a format acceptable here. Am going to go off and do something else for a while. this problem isn't going away so will take another stab at it tomorrow.

Thanks to all of you who have offered suggestions.
by bettyb » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:36 am
ngufra wrote:on windows you can do a screenshot using the PrintScreen button. (PrtSc)
To do a screenshot of a single window, you can do Alt-PrtScn.
It put an image in the clipboard.
Then open e.g. Paint and paste the image and save to a file.

It may be that when firefox does not get the content from the website fast enough, it starts to display what it has which happens to be a low resolution of the site and then when it get the regular version, it redraws the window.

Or maybe your mail client does not want to support firefox and as your browser tells the server what user agent it is, it gets a dumbed down version of the page. In that case use chrome, change mail provider, or you may be able to tell firefox to send an alternate user agent string so the server does not discriminate and send it an alternate version of the page.
If I've done this right a screen shot should be attached (or maybe, included in the post)

Attachments

by ngufra » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:53 am
The attachment works.
Does it misbehave only for sonic mail on firefox or on other sites too?
Did you disable anything in firefox settings ?

Is it only on one computer ?
If that computer is a laptop, do you see the same issue when you use it on another connection (like at a friend/library or creating a hotspot on your phone) ?
by bettyb » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:29 am
ngufra wrote:The attachment works.

If that computer is a laptop, do you see the same issue when you use it on another connection (like at a friend/library or creating a hotspot on your phone) ?
It's only on my desktop running Windows 10. It does not occur on same computer using Chrome, nor does it occur on laptop or another desktop running XP.. And, yes, only on sonic.mail. All other sites are normal. Don't think I've disabled anything on Firefox although I have been letting FF update automatically so it's possible something changed but I don't think that's it. Odd, I bookmarked this site and can get to it on FF without a problem. It may be the url I'm using for sonic.mail. I'll try deleting that bookmark and create a new one. That may work.
by bettyb » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:34 am
ngufra wrote:The attachment works.

Deleted that bookmark and logged on via sonic.net/mail and just sonic.net. Same result. I'd like to find out what it is but in the end may just learn to use Chrome.
15 posts Page 1 of 2