Download speeds needed for streaming on 4k television and what Sonic delivers

General discussions and other topics.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by lucastoli » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:40 pm
Age has moved me to more sedentary activities and so I decided to upgrade my TV to 4k and get a "streaming" hook up (never had one before, don't know about them)..
1) I read Consumer reports and they say that to get the full effects of 4k TV I need a download speed (I guess to the streaming device, such as Roku) of 25 Mbps.
2) My Sonic bill says I’m paying for Fusion Broadband - X2 - STI-0129508- 2 @ $60/mo and that I have the fastest service available at my location
3) Speed tests are always around 4-6 Mbps on my computer.
4) Sonic also advertises “up to 15Mbps” @ $40/mo and up to 30 Mbps @ $60/mo. Why do I get only 4-6 Mbps?

So, how do I put all this info together and come up with a coherent plan on what to do?

Thanks very much.

lucastoli

(Perhaps I am in the wrong forum. If so, please let me know where to go.)
by dane » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:27 pm
Are both of your broadband LEDs on the modem illuminated? It could be that one line is down...
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ngufra » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:48 pm
What is your upstream and downstream speed?
How far from the central office are you?
When you tested is it from a wired computer or on wifi?
What matters is how does the picture look whatever consumer reports reads. Does netflix display in 4k (your roku or smart TV will need to be doing 4k too)
by dane » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:46 am
Regarding speed requirements for 4K, you need about 12Mbps for a 4K video stream.

And as noted, a 4K TV and streaming box (Roku, AppleTV, Chromecast or FireTV) or use the streaming features of the 4K smart TV itself.

And for those with HD content or TVs, the bandwidth needed for an HD stream is about 4Mbps.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by jacob.karinen » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:05 am
Going over your account @lucastoli, you should have more than enough bandwidth to stream in 4k. Are you connecting over wireless? Another possible issue could be from your line which is running right at the edge of stability. If we cap your speed down about 300Kbps per line it may help with overall stability as there will be more wiggle room to buffer. If we did set that cap you'd see your max speed go from about 36Mbps to about 35.4Mbps.

Before we do that though, if you're connecting over wireless try hardwiring and seeing if it works any better.

Best regards,
Jacob K.
Community and Escalations Supervisor
Sonic
5 posts Page 1 of 1