Lose the $10 discount if I switch to my own router?

General discussions and other topics.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by olucafont6 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:06 pm
Hi,

I just signed up for the $40 gigabit fiber plan, with the $10 discount for the first 12 months. I am using the provided rental router for the first month, but would like to switch to using my own router soon.

I just wanted to check - if I switch to my own router, will I lose the $10 discount for the remaining ~11 months? I've seen posts saying that but most of them were fairly old so just wanted to check if this is still the case. If so it wouldn't really be worth it to buy my own router.

Thanks!
Greg
by ngufra » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:12 pm
I believe it's still the case.
Sonic recommends you use their router as it makes it easier for them to troubleshoot.
If you don't know what you are doing I would recommend that too.
If you do know what you are doing and are willing and able to setup your own equipment sonic let's you use your own and return the router. They prefer you use it at first to confirm everything is good. In my case I never got it which saved me returning it.
Not all routers will be able to make the most of gigabit Wan port.

Tl;dr: the $10 discount is conditional to your renting the router (for $10 too I think)
by olucafont6 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:37 pm
Gotcha, thanks. Yeah I'll call Sonic and confirm but if that's the case, I guess I'll just stick with their router for now, and then switch it out after the first year or something.
by ngufra » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:41 pm
I was reading somewhere today that sonic charge about $10 for the RMA of the gateway.
4 posts Page 1 of 1