UPS Headaches

General discussions and other topics.
14 posts Page 2 of 2
by m.fitzhugh » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:39 pm
I was really glad to find this thread. My email inbox and text messages are filling up with alerts about rolling power outages that might affect my home. I'm imagining PG&E public safety power shutoffs won't be far behind.

Like other customers, I was really surprised to find that we can only order ONT battery backups when beginning service or at the time of installation. The sales rep I spoke with was sympathetic, suggesting that maybe I could find the Powertec Solutions PS18L-32 for sale via an online retailer. As above, no dice.

Sonic could really do better here. With so many of us working and learning from home in these long, hot, unpredictable days of summer, the availability of post-install ordering for these feels necessary.
by digitalbitstream » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:04 am
The PS36L battery replacement page is:
https://www.powertecsolutions.net/solut ... y-upgrade/

These direct current (no wall plug) UPS units last a lot longer, for these low drain devices, than an AC plug model.
There are a scad of them on amazon and ebay (click for link, disclosure there is an affiliate code):
https://amzn.to/2EzubMk
These plug directly into the device, and act as the power supply during normal times.
412P Mini UPS.jpg
412P Mini UPS.jpg (108.31 KiB) Viewed 11908 times
by giannicolamarino » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:14 pm
Mini UPS for Sonic Fiber ONT

With Sonic Fiber, battery backup of the ONT (Optical Network Terminator, like a modem for fiber) is important to maintain telephone and Internet service during a power outage (e.g., during an earthquake or other disaster, which can knock out cell phone service). Unfortunately, the Sonic battery backup has limited runtime despite being expensive, and a conventional 110VAC UPS won't provide extended runtime. What will work is a "mini" UPS designed to directly support 12VDC equipment.
If you have a wireless router for your Internet service, either rented from Sonic or purchased, while it may be able to share a mini UPS with the ONT, it's better to put it on its own UPS so as not to reduce ONT runtime.

Hope that helps,
John Navas [technical contact posting from client account]
email: jn2ATnavasgroupDOTcom

by gsiela » Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:08 pm
SONIC CONTINUES to provide FALSE Advertising and lies in 2023 about both initial install of UPS for ONT battery backup. SONIC Refused to install as a NEW Customer to install backup battery at not on exterior of house. . They have told all employees to tell consumers to go to AMAZON or staples and purchase batteries that are not proper or hardened for outside temperatures at ONT. The current sonic website on 1/7/2023 states as follows.

re "Users who would like to purchase a power supply after installation will want to call in and we will schedule a dispatch to install the power supply."

https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/article ... ery-Backup

I have contact SONIC tech staff multiple times last year with request to install. I get the same sales pitch to go buy one myself as SONIC Apparently SONIC lies and doesn't install for NEW CUSTOMERS and Doesn't have any in stock with no date to order any. Lying to the FTC. . And apparently. you do not install the batteries, and do not have them instock to install for the past year. Your website updated 2 hours ago confrims malicious false advertising.

I will be contacting the FCC about this deceptive advertising and sales tactices; as your company continues to advertise clearly deceptive information. I will be spending the news to all in my community and revert to CABLE.
14 posts Page 2 of 2