Error 401 asking for user name and password

General discussions and other topics.
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by gl9erfan » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:38 am
I'm new to Sonic. When going to some websites, I've previously visited with my old internet provider, I never had issues getting onto their site. These sites do not require a user name and password. I switch back to my other internet provider (currently running both) and get on with no problem (no userid/password) and then switch back to Sonic and now I can usually get on with no problem. But this trick doesn't work for all sites. How do i fix this issue using Sonic??
by joemuller » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:27 pm
It's probably the case that you're still using the same computer and web browser to access the websites, so my hunch here is that the sites you were visiting were set up to allow connections from the IP address that your old internet provider assigned you.

Your (new) connection on Sonic is going to assign you a different IP address, so the website is going to 'see' your request coming from a different address -- which may determine whether they ask you for a username and password.

The best way to find a solution is to email the support or contact email for the website that isn't working and explain the weird behavior you're seeing.

-- Joe M.
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
2 posts Page 1 of 1