Sonic.net email: Missing messages, lack of sync between iPhone and desktop

General discussions and other topics.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by radius » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:23 am
Running current version of iOS on my iPhone, and latest available for my Mac desktop.

All of the following pertains to my Sonic.net account and mailboxes.

Significant discrepancy between what is showing in my Inbox on my iPhone, desktop and webmail interface. In an attempt to find a subsequent portion of an email thread, that was not showing in my Inbox, I went to the Sent folder on my iPhone, to discover no messages whatsoever (I NEVER delete sent mail, on any platform). Via the webmail site, only two messages in the Sent folder, both from 6/11, while all sent and received are available in the Mail application on my Mac.

Any idea what is the cause and perhaps a solution?
by dct » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:22 am
It sounds like there might be a disparity between how the iphone are checking your email. The two most common protocols are POP (Post Office Protocol) and IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol).

POP acts kind of like your physical mailbox at home: your mail person delivers your message, you run out to the box and retrieve the message. Your mailbox is now empty, but you (or your device) has retained the message.

IMAP works a little differently. Your mail person drops off the message, but you don't need to go pick it up - you can read it from afar. A benefit of this is that you are able to get persistence across all of your devices, as each one acts like a window into your mailbox, where your messages aren't deleted, and are made available for any device you have.

It's very possible that one of these accounts is set up incorrectly, or needs a few more settings tweaks to get your mail behaving normally. If you can give our support team a call, we'd be happy to take a look and determine which device needs some extra attention, and get it set up so that there's some consistency between your iPhone and desktop.

If you'd rather take a stab at it yourself, we have a guide on setting up Apple Mail on your desktop, which should be fairly similar to the iPhone configuration: https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/article ... Apple-Mail
Dan T.
Community & Escalations Manager
707-547-3400
@Sonic
by ktaugher » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:05 pm
I'm having this exact same issue. Message consistency is always screwed up. It seems like they take different amounts of time to get one mail box over the other, even when refreshed. Both are set up as imap.

What did you end up doing to fix it?
by virtualmike » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:47 pm
If you're using IMAP on both devices, then you simply have two different views into one mailbox. However, depending how your devices are set up and the actions you take, it is possible to you see changes on one before you see them on the other.

If you'd like to confirm what's really in the mailbox, webmail shows its state right now.
by briancw » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:44 am
virtualmike is definitely correct here, if an email client is set to IMAP, the clients are in charge of viewing emails stored on the server. What is on the server itself is the same between clients but the timing of how they access the emails can be slightly off.
Brian W
Construction Application Processor
Sonic
5 posts Page 1 of 1