Concern about connection from utility poles to the house

General discussions and other topics.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by Guest » Sat May 30, 2020 10:09 pm
I'm really excited to get Sonic installed within a week! I'm worried about one thing, however: the drop from the utility pole/wires to the house. Does Sonic have flexibility with where that drop happens? Right now our Comcast line (installed before we moved in) runs from a utility pole through a fast growing tree and to our house. Can Sonic's fiber line be run from between two utility poles so it's more of a straight shot to the house (and avoids the tree)? Thanks!
by dane » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:52 pm
Generally the primary concern is safety, and then aesthetics. Having a drop cable going through a tree is safe (they're not power-carrying), and looks better than one visible in the open space. We also generally try to "follow path", that is, not forge a new route, if there are existing communications utility drops from AT&T and Comcast. It's generally best to have them all in one place, rather than crisscrossing overhead each on their own path.

But, regarding that tree: The fiber optic drop cable is very, very tough, and many go through trees with no issues. The fiber is a tiny element inside, housed with kevlar strength members alongside. They can withstand being struck, driven over, etc. Pretty much anything except loppers and chainsaws - so I suppose care is necessary when pruning when wires are present.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Guest » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:30 am
There's actually a phone line that comes in at a much better spot (it avoids the tree and doesn't criss-cross the property). Could it follow that path? That line comes down mid-way between two telephone poles.
by dane » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:08 am
Guest wrote:There's actually a phone line that comes in at a much better spot (it avoids the tree and doesn't criss-cross the property). Could it follow that path? That line comes down mid-way between two telephone poles.
Yes, if there is an existing wire there, the drop crew may follow that one. If you’re home and catch them, do give your input!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Guest » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:59 pm
Great, will do.

I have to ask: are you _really_ Sonic's CEO (and not, say, a well-informed team member, assistant, etc)?
by dane » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:34 pm
Guest wrote:Great, will do.

I have to ask: are you _really_ Sonic's CEO (and not, say, a well-informed team member, assistant, etc)?
Yep, CEO, Co-Founder and owner. =)
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Guest » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:43 pm
It's pretty cool you're this involved. I'm looking forward to the speedy internet!
by dane » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:00 pm
Glad to hear that. You’ll love the fiber service, it’s simply the best internet access possible: just gigabit Ethernet. Job, done! =)
Dane Jasper
Sonic
8 posts Page 1 of 1