Is it possible to install fiber service that prevents home burglar from cutting the fiber cable?

General discussions and other topics.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by glee217 » Fri May 22, 2020 4:00 pm
I am wondering if it is possible for installation to be installed more securely?

Meaning with lockboxes for the fiber devices and metal tubing for the fiber optic cables to protect against would be thieves from cutting the cables and tampering with the unit before entering the house?

If the cables were cut for example thieves can disable home monitoring systems and alarms silently.

Since mines were installed before COVID 19 I see only a fiber cable drilled through a hole but is it too late to have metal tubing protecting the cable from being cut? I have cameras that depend on the internet and if cut then its no use.
by dane » Mon May 25, 2020 2:58 pm
I can't think of a way to really protect the delivery of utility services to the premise. Even if it were in conduit on the side of the home, it's aerial from the pole - they could just use a ladder on the pole and cut the drop down. Similarly, they could shut off your electricity at the side of the house.

Maybe have some cameras that have battery back-up and local storage in a security safe. I've seen USB storage devices that go into a safe via a small hole.

You could also use a security system like a Ring or Nest secure which uses WiFi as primary and cellular as backup. That'd give you some additional security in case of loss of internet access.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by mediahound » Wed May 27, 2020 7:22 pm
Speaking of the 'telephone poles', they are usually not that easy to climb without proper tools. There are not even pegs to step on near the bottom.
3 posts Page 1 of 1