Coverage near Oakland Hills

General discussions and other topics.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by Justine tenZeldam » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:13 am
Any idea how good the coverage is over there? I'm at E. 31st & 14th Ave, near Highland Hospital (Oakland CA 94602). Last mobile hot spot didn't work. AT&T was garbage, even on their own telephone lines! Would love to go with a local firm like Sonic, rather than Comcast, but coverage AND reliability are very important of course. Feel free to text me too 510-230-8270
Thx!
by virtualmike » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:48 pm
That area is covered by the Oakland Fruitvale CO, which is located at 2112 Fruitvale Ave (about two blocks away from Foothill Blvd). That's a little over a mile away from Highland Hospital as the crow flies, but phone wires go along rights-of-way that zig-zag, and that distance can easily double. Figure somewhere between 7K to 10K feet.

If you go through the sign-up process, you'll get AT&T's estimate of the wireline distance. You can then check the scatter plot that shows others' experience with speed based on distance.
by andrewthomason » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:51 pm
I'm in the Dimond, about 7300 feet from the CO. I usually get close to or a little over 6 Mbps down, and 1 up.

When the phone company was my ISP, they told me I couldn't get more than 1.5 Mbps DSL service. I then switched to DSLExtreme, who were able to put me in the 1.5 - 3.0 tier (I usually got high 2's). The switch to Sonic has been a great improvement. No reliability issues.
by digitalbitstream » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:46 pm
Walking distance from 2112 Fruitvale to 31st & 14th Ave is about 1.5 miles. That's decent first guess at wire distance. You should be OK.
4 posts Page 1 of 1