Domain .COM and .NET

General discussions and other topics.
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by jgea08 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:09 am
A DNS USA person wants to sell me a .NET domain name to match my .COM name. Is this a scam? Jack
by dane » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:01 pm
jgea08 wrote:A DNS USA person wants to sell me a .NET domain name to match my .COM name. Is this a scam? Jack
It could be, or not. Do you think having the .net would be valuable to you?

Is it registered to them today? I have seen some cases where someone would register a domain matching a .com and then offer it for sale and then revoke the registration (and get a registry refund) a few days later if the buyer didn't want it. It was a sort of registry arbitrage, that leveraged the then-current rules regarding the ability to void the registration and get a refund. No idea if that's still a thing.

I've also seen lots of folks who offer to sell domain names in .cn or other foreign registries that match the .com domain. These generally have little or no value and are not worth pursuing.

Some years ago Sonic had the opportunity to buy the corresponding .com to our existing .net, and we have found that to be useful and it was worth the investment. Those kinds of opportunities, particularly for a name that is just five letters and a dictionary word just don't come along every day.

On the other hand, if your .com domain is unique to your business (joesmithandsoninsuranceagency.com etc) and long, can't see why they'd want to camp on the .net or other equivalents, and you can probably avoid buying it from a reseller if you're patient.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
2 posts Page 1 of 1