Webmail Beta Going Live, Squirrel Mail Stays

General discussions and other topics.
20 posts Page 2 of 2
by Santa Rosa Customer » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:25 pm
Hello Michael Eisen; No, it is not just you. I too am finding the new webmail slower, less inviting, and more cumbersome. I have a brand new screaming machine with an 8-core processor and I am finding it laggy to do even the simple things, never mind the options and features that disappeared or were relocated somewhere less convenient.

Jumping in, opening a few emails all at once, then quickly filing/deleting them now takes a bit longer. I wonder if I measured the time it takes to do this, versus the time it used to take in NutsMail, it's probably not very significant differnece, but add that up multiple times a day, multiple days per year, ..... Bummer that we lost NutsMail. It's not enough to drive me to cancel my service but I"m certainly not pleased about it.
by eisenm » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:16 pm
Santa Rosa Customer wrote:Hello Michael Eisen; No, it is not just you. I too am finding the new webmail slower, less inviting, and more cumbersome. I have a brand new screaming machine with an 8-core processor and I am finding it laggy to do even the simple things, never mind the options and features that disappeared or were relocated somewhere less convenient.

Jumping in, opening a few emails all at once, then quickly filing/deleting them now takes a bit longer. I wonder if I measured the time it takes to do this, versus the time it used to take in NutsMail, it's probably not very significant differnece, but add that up multiple times a day, multiple days per year, ..... Bummer that we lost NutsMail. It's not enough to drive me to cancel my service but I"m certainly not pleased about it.
I ran both clients throughout the beta period and believe me, it's a lot slower than Nutsmail.

Dane's Sonic.net is the best ISP on the planet. At least, that's what I have told everyone, for the last eight years, who asks for my email address.

However, the new email client is fatally flawed. If Dane wants to experiment every ten years with a new system, more power to him.

However, those of us who rely upon his established products for the conduct of our personal and business affairs should not be penalized by weak technical and business decisions, such as keeping Squirrel Mail and dropping Nutsmail, because some members have a misplaced affection for the former.

Michael Eisen
by virtualmike » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:11 pm
arnold2 wrote:I alsways though Sonic.net was worth paying more as it resell ATT&T DSL. No longer do I think this
You can change your email without changing ISPs. Just like you can change your landline phone without changing phone companies, or change your TV without changing cable companies.
by virtualmike » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:26 pm
eisenm wrote:The only other conclusion I can draw is that Sonic made a boardroom decision to get out of the email hosting business, and settled upon these two despicable clients in order to drive business away.
First of all, Sonic.net has already stated the reasons for the changes.

Second, email hosting is a completely separate issue from an email interface. The two are entirely different functions. As noted elsewhere, you can use any email client to access your email that's hosted on Sonic.net. Just like you can use any TV with cable service.
by dukeofur » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:15 pm
I noticed that the new implementation of Squirrel mail, doesn't have the favicon. It's a minor thing, but it would be nice. I like those things.
by eisenm » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:35 am
virtualmike wrote:
eisenm wrote:The only other conclusion I can draw is that Sonic made a boardroom decision to get out of the email hosting business, and settled upon these two despicable clients in order to drive business away.
First of all, Sonic.net has already stated the reasons for the changes.

Second, email hosting is a completely separate issue from an email interface. The two are entirely different functions. As noted elsewhere, you can use any email client to access your email that's hosted on Sonic.net. Just like you can use any TV with cable service.
So what?
by adame » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:22 pm
eisenm wrote:So what?
I don't know if this was where virtualmike was going, but none of the webmail clients we've tried over the years were meant to replace full-featured email clients like Thunderbird, Outlook, or Apple's Mail application. For daily use, we believe these programs are much better than Squirrelmail, Nutsmail or Roundcube, and that the majority of our customers will have a much better experience using a desktop client on their home machine. Choosing your own desktop client allows you to customize your interface to what you want to see; it affords you greater control with better options over how you interact with your email.

This doesn't mean we aren't trying to make the best possible webmail client we can, but if you're not a fan of our progress so far, there are other options. Support is always happy to walk you through configuring one of these programs once it's installed on your computer.
Adam Martinetti
Customer Experience Manager
Sonic.
by virtualmike » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:03 am
adame wrote:I don't know if this was where virtualmike was going...
It is.

I've seen multiple complaints that this change has "ruined" email, and the only recourse is to leave Sonic.net. That sounds like a rather drastic step, when there are alternatives, such as the desktop clients you mentioned, or even redirecting email to another webmail service.

Of course, the other webmail services are changing their interfaces, too. <shrug>
by dane » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:01 pm
virtualmike wrote:
adame wrote:I don't know if this was where virtualmike was going...
It is.

I've seen multiple complaints that this change has "ruined" email, and the only recourse is to leave Sonic.net. That sounds like a rather drastic step, when there are alternatives, such as the desktop clients you mentioned, or even redirecting email to another webmail service.

Of course, the other webmail services are changing their interfaces, too. <shrug>
I've been surprised by the number of folks who prefer to use webmail over a conventional client application. Some used to do it to have a unified view from multiple machines, but IMAP makes that possible in a much better way. Personally, I use many clients to access my email, including the native client on my iPhone, desktop clients from three different PCs (home, work, and laptop), two different tablets, etc. I can't imagine using webmail, it's SO slow by comparison to a native application.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by virtualmike » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:07 pm
Indeed. I only use web mail when I need a full-size keyboard (e.g., to type a lengthy response that gets tedious quickly on my phone or iPad) and I'm away from my own computers.

My desktop client (Thunderbird) is configured precisely to my needs. No webmail can match it.
20 posts Page 2 of 2