What do I do when I get a message like this?

General discussions and other topics.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by Susan » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:52 am
Hello

I am a spy͏ware software developer.

30/10/2019 - On this day I hacke͏d your OS and got full acce͏ss to your account ....(my email here)

I sent this message from your ac͏count

The hacking was carried out using a hardware vulnera͏bility through which you went online.
I went around the security system in the router, insta͏lled an exploit there.
When you went online, my exploit downloaded my malicious code (rootkit) to your device.
Why your anti͏virus did not detect malware? My malware uses the driver, I update its signatures every 3 hours so that your antivirus is silent.

Since then I have been following you (I can connect to your device via the VNC prot͏ocol).
That is, I can see absolutely everything that you do, vig
by jacob.karinen » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:26 pm
Hello Susan,

Most likely that is a spam email and they're trying to trick you into giving up information. You can go ahead and delete it. If you keep getting them please let us know.
Jacob K.
Community and Escalations Supervisor
Sonic
by Susan » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:29 pm
Thanks, Jacob.
That's what I figured, but I wanted to be sure I wasn't ignoring something I shouldn't.
by virtualmike » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:17 pm
I've received several dozen of those, normally addressed to/from old email addresses. Sometimes, they even include the supposed password that the senders cracked.

In each instance, the address and/or password is something that I abandoned a while back--probably obtained by the scammer because someone hacked into a system.

I use a different email address and password for every site, so I know from which site the credentials were stolen. The scammers are assuming that I use the same email address and password everywhere. There are a lot of people who do.

So far, I haven't seen any evidence that anyone has actually connected to my computer.
by prefab » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:40 am
virtualmike wrote:I've received several dozen of those, normally addressed to/from old email addresses. Sometimes, they even include the supposed password that the senders cracked.

In each instance, the address and/or password is something that I abandoned a while back--probably obtained by the scammer because someone hacked into a system.

I use a different email address and password for every site, so I know from which site the credentials were stolen. The scammers are assuming that I use the same email address and password everywhere. There are a lot of people who do.

So far, I haven't seen any evidence that anyone has actually connected to my computer.
Yes, it's a genre of spam scams based on fear. They make some threats/demands and show a little evidence that they know something about you (like a stolen password), implying that they have much greater access & leverage than they actually do. Just make sure that you're no longer using the password that they've gotten hold of (go change passwords if necessary), then carry on as normal.

They're not targeting you specifically, nor do they have any special leverage. It's just automated spam that's being cooked up from lists of stolen passwords.
5 posts Page 1 of 1