Can Openvpn in Windows remember my password?

General discussions and other topics.
13 posts Page 2 of 2
by ezekielk » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:21 am
js9erfan wrote:
This is because you're using the OpenVPN Connect app and not the OpenVPN GUI (Community) version found here.
Yeah, I'm using the OpenVpn app provided by Sonic, here:

https://ovpn.sonic.net/?src=connect

But it's also GUI, latest version...the install file is: openvpn-connect-3.1.0.361_signed.msi.

But since the different appearance of the icon is trivial, I consider the "problem" resolved. I got confused when Sonic's instruction page said the icon would appear with a green check mark, once connected. Obviously, that needs to be updated.
No, once you disconnect or exit the app you won't be assigned an IP from the VPN server (157.131.0.17).
Ah, I understand now, thanks.
However, 50.0.92.189 falls under Sonic's netblock so there's no point in using Sonic's VPN unless you're on the road or under a different ISP (ATT, Comcast, etc.).
I thought using a VPN would gain me extra security (privacy), especially when using the router's wifi, instead of ethernet. As it would, no matter /which/ ISP I'm using. (I live in a large apt. building that is fairly transient.) And those who use Comcast or AT&T (for examples) are strongly recommended to use a VPN, even when home. I connect to my bank account and other sites where the best security is important. (Besides, it weirds me out to know that someone could track all my activities if I don't use a VPN...and that is also why I don't even use a "loyalty" card at Walgreens, Safeway, or for any other store. It's really no one's business.)

I know Sonic has a better privacy policy than the monopolies, and there is some security built into the gateway...but wouldn't using their VPN (or any other) give me further protection?

Sonic even recommends using a VPN. See:

https://www.sonic.com/privacy-policy

And they do keep logs for up to 14 days. Wouldn't using a VPN all the time make one's logs secure from prying...including when plugged into ethernet?

Thanks for your patience, This is my first broadband service...prior to this I've been using dialup from home, and relying on public wifi away from home. For which wifi I use Private Internet Access VPN.

But my DNS query remains unresolved. See my posts above.
by js9erfan » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:51 pm
I thought using a VPN would gain me extra security (privacy), especially when using the router's wifi, instead of ethernet. As it would, no matter /which/ ISP I'm using. (I live in a large apt. building that is fairly transient.) And those who use Comcast or AT&T (for examples) are strongly recommended to use a VPN, even when home. I connect to my bank account and other sites where the best security is important. (Besides, it weirds me out to know that someone could track all my activities if I don't use a VPN...and that is also why I don't even use a "loyalty" card at Walgreens, Safeway, or for any other store. It's really no one's business.)
A VPN is basically a secure tunnel (when properly configured) between your client device(s) and a VPN provider's server. Your traffic is then sent over the internet from there but at least you know the unsecured public hot spot, hotel internet, other ISP, etc. you're connected to won't be spying your traffic. But as mentioned it serves no purpose to use Sonic's VPN when you're already connected at home through Sonic... Assuming you're using WPA2 and a strong password for WiFi on your router, you're fine. This basic guide on securing your WiFi router might be helpful. Keep in mind though that if any of your devices are compromised by malware, a VPN won't help you much.
Sonic even recommends using a VPN. See:

https://www.sonic.com/privacy-policy

Per that link: "Use a VPN, or virtual private network, especially when surfing on public WiFi or networks you don’t trust."

In other words, not when you're routing through your Sonic provided router at home.
And they do keep logs for up to 14 days. Wouldn't using a VPN all the time make one's logs secure from prying...including when plugged into ethernet?
Sonic is the one with access to their logs so whether you're at home using their service or connected to the VPN remotely it's their logs.
Thanks for your patience, This is my first broadband service...prior to this I've been using dialup from home, and relying on public wifi away from home. For which wifi I use Private Internet Access VPN.

But my DNS query remains unresolved. See my posts above.
It's not like we're born with this knowledge so no worries. Whether it's PIA or Sonic VPN though, they both provide the same function/purpose.

And I'm not sure why you're concerned about a DNS leak considering that IP you listed is from Sonic:

Code: Select all

NetRange:       157.131.0.0 - 157.131.255.255
CIDR:           157.131.0.0/16
NetName:        SNIC
NetHandle:      NET-157-131-0-0-1
Parent:         NET157 (NET-157-0-0-0-0)
NetType:        Direct Allocation
OriginAS:       AS7065
Organization:   SONIC.NET, INC. (SNIC)    
by ezekielk » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:01 pm
Okay, I get it all now...my ingrained public wifi habits got in the way. Having my own broadband service is a game changer. Thanks! Were I using a monopoly ISP (such as Comcast or ATT) I would need to use a VPN, but Sonic's privacy policy is a more secure arrangement. And since I use Sonic's own gateway, not much I can do to change its settings...but I don't really need to, other than changing the default wifi and gateway passwords. And even that's on a bit of the paranoid side. :P

As for non-ISP security issues, I have that under control, such as:

How to configure Firefox settings for maximum privacy and security
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQhWdsFMc24

And, of course, I use a software firewall. Plus Windows Defender Security Center, and Malwarebytes service to boot. And a backup cloud service (Google Drive) and a USB hard drive for local backup.

Since I don't own a smartphone, I couldn't use 2-step authentication, until now. I didn't realize a DSL phone line would provide that benefit, too. And if I'm in public and away from my landline, I can still use 2-step, because I have the voicemail recording sent to webmail.

I also use Linux most or the time, when I go online...on a dualboot laptop. Plus, I have a backup laptop that runs only Linux.
13 posts Page 2 of 2