My AT&T service was canceled before I even told them to do that!

General discussions and other topics.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by ezekielk » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:36 pm
Now that I have Sonic DSL up and running, I decided to log onto my AT&T account to see if I could cancel my landline from there. The moment I logged on, an announcement in bright red said:

"Your service is canceled. There's no balance due. To avoid fees, return all equipment."

Now, it's no problem AFAIC, but it may be with others, who may decide not to go for Sonic, and they are still in their 30-day trial period, where they can opt out and get a full refund. So, why did they cancel before I told them to...does anyone know? TIA.
by virtualmike » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:14 pm
Did you port a landline phone number? That would initiate a cancellation.
by ezekielk » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:11 pm
Yes, I did...I just didn't realize that porting a number would automatically get you off the AT&T merry-go-round. I thought they would keep your account active until you inform then to discontinue. So obviously, that only applies to non-ported setups. Thanks, VirtualMike.
by virtualmike » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:07 pm
Porting a number is not guaranteed to cancel service, but depending on the status of the account (e.g., is it paid up-to-date?) and other factors, it certainly can cause cancellation. Many cell carriers will terminate service if a number is ported away.
by ezekielk » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:30 pm
I was not behind in my AT&T payments, so that's not it. Nothing in the Sonic instructions to new users indicates anything about automatic termination of one's AT&T service (whether porting or no)...they simply advise you not to do that until after your DSL is up and running. In fact, they make it clear that they don't do that for you, you have to inform AT&T yourself. Therefore, I was surprised about the unexpected termination, so decided to post a query here.
by virtualmike » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:36 pm
Actually, I was suggesting that if the account is in GOOD standing, it's more likely to get closed automatically.
by ezekielk » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:00 pm
Okay, thanks.
7 posts Page 1 of 1