Your Router's Security Stinks: Here's How to Fix It

General discussions and other topics.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by ezekielk » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:51 am
That's the title of an article I just came across. It gives a big two thumbs down for gateway devices, which are the router/modem combo that Sonic provides. But there are still some things one can do to harden your security and privacy, check it out:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/home-route ... 19245.html
by js9erfan » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:13 am
It certainly pays to invest in the proper equipment assuming one has or can seek the knowledge to set it up properly.

One of the biggest goals should be to separate all IoT devices from your primary LAN and important data whether that's using a guest network (preferably a separate interface), vlans, etc. And make sure there's firewall rules in place that doesn't allow those IoT devices to communicate with your router's interface (web, ssh, etc.).

Lastly, strong passwords and 2 step authentication/verification where possible is a must... Using outdated equipment or simply plugging it in out of the box often invites trouble.
by ezekielk » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:33 am
Well, I don't have any IoT devices, and I don't own a smartphone so I can't use 2-step authentication...so those security options are not for me. But thanks for your tips, I'm sure they'll help others. There are other things in that article that one can do, some of which depend on your type of router/modem, and what options may be provided by the ISP. I have the default Pace gateway provided by Sonic for ADSL. Since I am still waiting for a dial tone before I can connect via Sonic, I am not able to look into these other options myself, at the moment. The author doesn't speak very well for these router/modem combos (gateways):

"Most gateway routers used by home customers are profoundly not secure, and some routers are so vulnerable to attack that they should be thrown out, a security expert said at the HOPE X hacker conference in New York."
3 posts Page 1 of 1