Why does AT&T service need to pay a visit?

General discussions and other topics.
11 posts Page 1 of 2
by ezekielk » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:52 pm
Excuse my ignorance, but i am wondering why AT&T needs to do something to the phone line before my Sonic ADSL will work. Here is my situation:

I live in a large apt. building in SF, and already have basic local phone service from AT&T, via an old land line. A few other residents already have Sonic for their provider (I don't know them, but see via my wifi-connect list, there are some Sonic users). The landline box is located in my building's basement, with wires all over the place, like a nest.

I was under the impression that all that needs done, since I already use an AT&T landline, is to plug in the DSL splitter to my phone jack, and connect one of the lines to my phone, and the other to my laptop. And, of course, set up my connection via the operating system.

Anyway, I'm curious as to what, exactly, the AT&T technician may need to adjust or check on? Thanks for any help.
Brindlekin Tales (or "Flaco & Lucky: a Tale of Two Doggies")
http://zekeblog.wordpress.com/brindlekin-tales/

by prefab » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:26 am
There's a box somewhere in the neighborhood which contains a device called a DSLAM where DSL customers are connected. The box is AT&T's property and only their technicians are allowed to touch it. They don't keep all lines constantly connected to it. AT&T's technicians physically connect & disconnect lines from the DSLAM as needed.

If you start DSL service, an AT&T technician comes out and plugs your line into the DSLAM. If you cancel DSL service, an AT&T technician comes out and unplugs your line from the DSLAM. There might be some routine maintenance & testing involved as well for quality assurance, but mainly it's the plugging & unplugging. I'm not sure if it's even possible for AT&T to start & cancel DSL service by any other method. But in any case this is the method that they've always used. So there's nothing out of the ordinary about it.
by ezekielk » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:11 pm
Ah, that makes sense...thanks for your succinct reply.

The other problem I have is Sonic gave me a 12 hour window this Monday: 8AM-8PM...outrageous! When I got that message I almost canceled the service then and there. I did not, but if someone never shows up, I will definitely cancel.
by virtualmike » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:13 pm
prefab wrote:... If you start DSL service, an AT&T technician comes out and plugs your line into the DSLAM. If you cancel DSL service, an AT&T technician comes out and unplugs your line from the DSLAM.
Not necessarily. Usually the line remains connected to the DSLAM (either in the field or the CO) until the line is not being used for DSL and the DSLAM port is needed for another customer.

Another possible reason for requiring a visit is when the service ordered requires more than one pair. In that case, an AT&T technician may need to connect the second pair to the house's MPOE.
by ezekielk » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:11 pm
by ezekielk » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:10 pm
Here's the nest of wires making up the phone bank (or whatever it's called) in my apt. building's basement:

https://imgur.com/gallery/Fhk5OdU
by virtualmike » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:39 pm
Yowza!
by ezekielk » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:28 pm
Yowza is right. I won't be surprised if the AT&T tech person takes one look at it, and walks away.
by ezekielk » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:25 pm
Good news! The At&T technician showed up at 11AM, so my fretting about a 12-hour window is over. And he didn't walk away when he saw that Medusa nest of wires, but went right to it.
by virtualmike » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:02 pm
:o
11 posts Page 1 of 2