speed NOT

General discussions and other topics.
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by chandosz » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:48 pm
Hey Sonic Suckers,

Here's what I get : 5Mbps d/l at MOST.
0.55 d/l today when I booted up. This happens a LOT.

Sonic's response?" It varies:
You're tooo far from some emphemeral switch, dude, that never changes (for the better) and I've been a Sonic customer for more than 20 years.
Sometimes they say: You're using too much bandwith. But they claim unlimited b/w and NO throttling. Lopts of times they say: REBOOT THE MODEM, maybe that'll help. These guys are geniuses.

What do I pay, here in Sonic's hometown of Santa Rosa? Over $115 a month including their ripoff modem rental. I get 4 static ip's for
$10 (now only 1 free or 8 for $20/mo) Bugt since half the time they are soooo sloooooow, why would I want them.

250 yards away, Sonic gives my neighbor 25Mbps for $40 + fees. But Sonic is more interested in $$$$ in SF and LA than in the city where they were born and where their HQ is.

I used to think their customer service was good. It isn't Tier techs are young, snotty, and illiterate if you have any problem other than reset the modem. I tried for days to figure out brigdging their crappy modem only to discover that they don't really like that, so it's not really possible in the usual sense. You have to figure it out yourself. They like to avoid this so they can keep tabs on it. So much for their so-called privacy advantage.

Comcast Bus. will give me 5X the speed + 5 static ip';s for about $35 more. I don't need their crappy service and privacy-- do you really believe Sonic offers it? Really ?

Sucker.

They began as a do-no-evil company but now it's a Dane's Not Interested in your Non-monetizable Problems... but please do help keep our profit margins up there with "Net neutrality" .

Right.
by jacob.karinen » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:59 pm
Hello Chandosz,

I replied to your yelp review but I wanted to thank you for bringing this to our forums as it allows me to respond in a bit greater detail than I was able to on yelp. As I said, I'm sorry we're unable to offer the bandwidth you desired and I want to assure you we are working on building our own fiber network in Santa Rosa as quickly as possible. We have been connecting business parks and schools with our fiber service which is allowing us to create a backbone our residential fiber can build off of. While I have no public timelines for Santa Rosa I don't see it being a distant goal down the road.

As ephemeral as our CO's sound they're pretty static in place. The one you're being served from is located in downtown Santa Rosa, it's the building with all the mirrors on the side. Unfortunately, your address is quite the distance away from the CO. It's so far that if you tried to sign up for service today we'd most likely deny the order saying that service won't be stable. Based on that distance your available bandwidth is also pretty low and while we don't cap your data or throttle your internet there's only so much you can get out of your line over that distance. It's a hard limitation of DSL service and it's not something that can be easily worked around. Rebooting the modem is a common troubleshooting step to get the equipment into a known state. It can also help with a lot of issues.

In some areas, we offer resold AT&T service, which from what you've said is available to your distant neighbor, but that service is dependant on its existing infrastructure. Unfortunately, it either doesn't exist in front of your home or we don't have access to it for one reason or another. If an immediate increase in bandwidth is needed then I would recommend looking at other providers because we cannot offer anything more at your address right now. We're happy to work with you to get it running as smoothly as possible.

Finally, I'd be willing to discuss anything further but I ask that as we go forward to govern yourself accordingly. I'm here to help and provide answers however I won't be able to if you put down our support reps or continue to refer to others as suckers.
Jacob K.
Community and Escalations Supervisor
Sonic
2 posts Page 1 of 1